Tuesday

Spinach Mini-Meatballs in Crispy Frico Cups




In yesterday's post, "Spinach-Meatball Minestrone with Tortellini" I mentioned how the meatballs are delicious as appetizers, so I always make extra (they freeze well.)


Usually I just warm the meatballs and served them with warm Marinara sauce for dipping (or in a chafing dish, together.)


This time I tried something a little different ~ I made Frico (or Parmesan Crisps) in free-form shapes and placed a mini-meatball in each cup along with a small spoonful of store-bought Artichoke Salsa.



These are very small; about two-bite size. They received thumbs up at my house.


You can make the frico ahead and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator, heat the meatballs in the oven (or microwave), then just dollop a little sauce, or salsa of your choice into each cup. It's good to serve them with cocktail napkins, or small plates as the crispy frico tends to crumble ~ oooh, but they are so good; a little salty and tender-brittle. You can sprinkle a little cayenne, smoked paprika, or freshly ground black pepper on them to shake the flavor up a bit.


There are several tutorials on making the Parmesan Crisps/Frico; I like Alton Brown's version (HERE) and the seasoning variations he suggests.

To form the cup or curved shapes:

Allow the crisps to cool for a moment after you remove the pan from the oven, then with a thin metal spatula place each crisp over an upended shot glass (or something similar), gently form the shape you wish then allow to cool completely. As the frico cool they will become crisp.


Please click HERE if you would like the recipe for the Spinach-Mini Meatballs, (it's posted on my alternate blog.)











14 comments:

  1. Beautiful job. You never fail to impress me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh that looks so good, what a great idea with the soup and apps! i need to check my fridge, i want this all NOW! gorgeous pics and presentation... DUH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! It is so elegant and tasty looking! Great creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything presented this way!

    Frito cups are so cute.I tried a big crown last week to contain a salad ..And it broke.
    I felt like my Lego Kingdom had collapsed:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! I usually just eat my frico as is, I'm going to try this next time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty and perfect party fare! You are so creative - I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Pretty!!! Love your pictures - makes me so hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These really look cute, the parmesean cups really make a wonderful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How elegant these look! Its great to know that the parmesan cups can be kept in the fridge. Everything you make is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mari - Lovely presentaton..I'm always looking for more appie recipes and these you could make ahead so easily! Another one of yours added to my recipe box...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary, they look delicious and so pretty in your parmesan cups! Wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful little bites Mary! I love those parmesan cups. YUMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everyone! Your comments really brighten up my day. It's so kind of you to take the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I just made Italian wedding soup! (And I made a double batch of meatballs...mmm, maybe I won't be making more soup after all.) As always, this is so so pretty and so so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner