Thursday

Oyster Sauce - Slivered Beef with Vegetables



Such an easy, flavorful recipe which can stretch a little bit of beef into a meal. Up until a few years ago I would use flank steak for this recipe, that was back when flank steak was reasonably priced.


These days I save flank steak for other recipes where that cut counts, and substitute less expensive beef for stir-fry, especially when the meat is cut into thin slivers, the way I prefer it in a recipe like this. I had a tri-tip steak on hand so I sliced that up into slivers last night. You can use any cut you like, just make sure you cut against the grain to assure the most tender morsels of meat.


Once you prep the meat and your choice of vegetables (I used onion, green onion, red bell pepper, pea pods, celery and the usual seasonings of ginger, garlic, soy sauce, dry sherry, black pepper, a pinch of sugar, and of course for this recipe the Oyster Sauce.



Lee Kum Kee is my favorite brand ~ I've used others but always return to this brand as it has the best flavor, in my opinion.



Once the meat is sliced it is tossed with a little cornstarch, soy sauce, sugar, & sherry and allowed to marinate for about 15 minutes.

Unlike traditional stir-fry where the meat is tossed all together with the vegetables, I often stir-fry the vegetables and season with part of the sauce ingredients then set aside & keep warm. I wipe out the pan then cook the beef, serving in a separate dish so each person can add as much or as little beef that they like.

If you would like the recipe, you can find it on

"Once Upon a Plate ~ The Recipes" blog by clicking HERE.


I hope you like this recipe as much as my family does!










7 comments:

  1. Love these..looks tasty as always..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago my favorite Chinese restaurant served shrimp in oyster sauce. It was so delicious! I'm off to read the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I'm making a beef lo-mein tonight and am looking forward to it!

    I LOVE your new header photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you like it..I like it~
    Even if there is Oyster sauce in it:)

    Your photos are cristal clean and sharp Mary..and the new header is so pretty!

    The squares ..:)I still remember mine too..although yours are far prettier:)~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything made with oyster sauce. This looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my kind of food. And the colors are so vivid and appealing. Looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything you makes looks so good. The colors of this dish are striking.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner