Monday

Eggs Jeannette ~ Jacques Pepin's Mom's Recipe

"Les Oeufs Jeannette"
Jacques Pepin shared this recipe devised by his mother many, many
years ago and it remains a favorite at my house as well.

It's very tasty, budget friendly and easy to put together.

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you probably know
we raise chickens for their eggs. You can read more about
our family of feathered friends here (scroll down once you
click the link.)

Our current flock includes Ameraucanas, Buff Orpingtons,
Gold Lace, Rhode Island Reds, and Silver Lace.

All of them except the Ameraucanas lay various shades of
brown and pinkish eggs. The Ameraucanas lay various
shades of blue, as you can see below.



However, of these particular hens, one or two of them lay eggs which are more greenish than blue, so I suspect we have a few "Easter Eggers" (a breed
which is not recognized by the US Poultry breeders association)
but they are reliable layers and produce some of my favorite eggs.

Until the young Ameraucana  or Easter Egger hens begin laying
you never know what color eggs they will produce. Contrary to some
beliefs, a hen will lay only one color egg her entire laying life.
(In other words, she will not lay a blue egg one day, and a green egg
the next.) 
Also, hens do not need a rooster to lay eggs. Egg laying is simply
part of her reproductive cycle. However she does need a rooster
if you want fertilized eggs, or chicks! ;)


Anyway, back to the recipe!


This clever method simply consists of hard cooked eggs, halved. 
Yolks removed and mashed with a fork (or put through a sieve ~ my
preferred way), seasoned with minced parsley and garlic, salt & pepper,
then smoothed out with a little milk.
The yolk mixture is then returned to the egg white, then
the eggs are warmed, cut side down, in a little oil 
(I like grape seed oil here) until they are golden brown.

A little of the egg yolk mixture from above is reserved and
blended into a tasty Dijon mustard vinaigrette then drizzled
over the warm eggs.  I placed them on some baby arugula and
accompanied them with a few Kalamata olives.
(The eggs are just as delicious served at room temperature.)

These can be served as a light lunch or dinner, or
as an appetizer or first course.

If you would like a copy of the recipe, and a little background
info about it, you can find it here.

And here is a link to a very short video clip showing
Jacques and his daughter Claudine making the recipe at
the 2011 Food & Wine Classic in Aspen.

If you try these, I hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do.
With grateful thanks to Mme. Jeannette Pepin and
Jacques for sharing this wonderful little recipe.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Blessings!

~Mari  xo 


11 comments:

  1. How I would love to find eggs like yours:-)
    Wow.
    Turquoise:-)
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forgot to say..all done up and browned they look eggcellent:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My co-worker raises chickens and I have come to rely on her fresh eggs. Love it! Her hens lay beautiful shades of browns with pinks and blues too.

    This simple dish is divine. I traveled to France a couple of years ago and one of my most memorable meals was fresh lettuce greens, fried potatoes and fried eggs with a vinaigrette. I came home and immediately tried to re-create it.

    This dish is proof that simple is best.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mari,

    Thank you for this recipe - it looks very tasty. I must try it. I'm also inspired by your variety of egg-laying chickens. I'd love to have chickens one day... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always thought that those blue eggs were just gorgeous!

    The recipe looks wonderful! I've never heard of anything like that! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOO, I want to see some baby chicks soon :) Pretty please!

    I love eggs, but sadly they don't love me back. I would eat a whole tray of these if it didn't make my tummy hurt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think chickens would be welcome here in the condo but I sure would love to find source for so many pastel coloured eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the blue eggs! I've never seen any in those shades (unless dyed for Easter of course lol). They are gorgeous. And your recipe looks fantastic as well. I've never made any form of devilled eggs and yours is the first I really want to try! Maybe it could be a quick and easy lunch for me tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Alissa
    mangiables.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful blue eggs! I'm not much for deviled eggs, but these sound just great after being browned. One day I'll give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I watched Jacques make these eggs on his current show on PBS which is based on dishes in his most recent cookbook. I had the cookbook and loved the idea so made it for my family. Really a terrific way to make a stuffed egg which the French love as a starter course.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Mari, I've never heard of eggs done that way - they look delicious, and, as always, your presentation is fabulous.

    And the beautiful eggs your chickens are producing... I'm so jealous!!

    xoxo
    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner