Monday

Donna Hay's Spicy Chicken*, Cucumber and Mint Salad



I'm a huge fan of Australian celebrity chef Donna Hay, so when Pam recently featured this recipe, from Donna Hay's magazine on her terrific blog "Sidewalk Shoes", I KNEW I wanted to make it right away.





What more could you want in a main course salad? It goes together quickly, is light yet filling and is delicious!




Pam substituted ground beef for the minced chicken; I used ground turkey but I would consider substituting lean ground pork, or even prawns or shrimp as well.




The method is really simple; I prep the cucumbers and red onion using a mandolin, then set them aside. Then brown the meat of choice until done, add some crushed garlic and chili (as much or as little as you like), cook for a minute; add the fish sauce*, lime juice and sugar. then toss with the cucumber & red onion slices, along with the mint leaves.

* If you don't care for fish sauce, you could substitute oyster sauce or soy sauce (I would dilute the soy with a little water to avoid excessive sodium.)





I'll definitely be making this one regularly, and I'd like to give a big thank you to Pam for discovering the recipe and sharing it.

If you would like a printable copy of the recipe,
you can find it on my recipe blog by clicking HERE.

If you like Asian-style food, I think you may love this as much as we did.
It's been declared a KEEPER at my house... it's very good.

Back to edit:

I've received several emails about the bowl and placemat so I thought I would answer here in case anyone else is wondering. ;)

Bowls are currently available from Target 2 for $9.99 (if I remember the price correctly.)


Round, scalloped placemat made by C & F Enterprises










12 comments:

  1. i just saw this at pams and knew i wanted to make it, i see you are the clincher to the deal now! i love how everyone's blogs overlap, reinforcing good food and fun, one big beautiful chewing circle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great Mary...I just bought a new Donna Hay magazine yesterday....I need to sit down and really look it over...
    I am definitely making this...it sounds so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time visit...WOW...wonderful photography and your recipes are refreshing!

    Found you through another fellow blogger, "schnitzel and the trout". I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salad with chopsticks just spells FUSION :) Love the colours ... so refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fresh Mary..I saw the original too and thought ym..:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so true Jain, the inspiration from all of the fabulous blogs out there (including yours!) is mind boggling. So many recipes, so little time. (Nice to see you!)

    Linda, lucky YOU... I cannot get my hands on Donna's magazines locally ~ thank goodness for the internet.

    Thank you Christine ~ I LOVE your blog!

    Hi K.M.! What a kind comment; thank you very much. I enjoy Susan's blog very much too! :)

    TLT and M ~ So nice to see you, thank you for the sweet comments ~ you two provide GREAT inspiration to so many of us in so many ways.

    Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spicy chicken has a nice tasty ring to it especially in salad

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you liked it! It's so easy, and you're right it could easily be made with shrimp or ground pork!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Garlic Boss and Pam. Pam you ALWAYS post recipes I want to make. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, looks like a keeper to me too. I will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That salad look sooooo delicious, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner