Sunday

Individual Crustless Quiches




I enjoy making these very much, we love them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
They can be made ahead and reheated successfully, too.


They are equally good served hot, or at room temperature plain, or with a sauce, or salsa.



Just like traditional quiche with pastry the filling possibilities are seemingly endless.



Because we are overrun with zucchini (!!!) ~ that was the filling of choice this time.



Served with a Spicy Tomato-Artichoke-Olive Salsa. (Harry and David's, from the jar.)



Choose any herbs you like ~ thyme is my favorite so that went in, and since the lavender is blooming I added a wee pinch of that, just to add a nuance as it can easily overpower everything else.




Sometimes just a little sprig on top is enough ~ in the warmer months when the gardens are blooming I often garnish with edible flowers ~ it makes for a prettier presentation ~ especially on a boring brown food as this. :)



One of the things I adore about "cooking" as opposed to baking is there is lots of wiggle-room for improvisation as a dish is coming together.
These quiches are no exception ~ I knew I wanted them taller than a traditional quiche or frittata so I selected deep ramekins. You can butter the interior, but in the interest of health I used olive oil cooking spray.




Then dusted generously with seasoned, dry bread crumbs mixed with finely grated
Parmesan. (You want a nice coating, but shake out the excess.)

For just the filling, follow any favorite quiche recipe. I sliced the zucchini thinly on the mandoline, added a little fresh, minced garlic, the seasonings, and gently mixed with the egg mixture.
Again, in the interest of our dietary requirements ~ I used an egg substitute, and soy based "Silk" (TM) creamer. If your body can handle the full fat version of quiche, by all means go for it!

I love they way they look when you cut into them ...





Of course you can serve these right from the ramekins, but I wanted to unmold them; in order to add body so they would hold their shape when unmolded I added a few tablespoons of the dry bread crumbs to the egg mixture before baking, this time I only used grated Parmesan as the cheese.

I baked them in a bain marie (water bath) at 350* (F) until just firm; then allowed them to cool a bit before unmolding. I sprinkled a little more finely grated Parmesan on the tops (formerly the "bottoms") and placed them under a hot broiler for a few moments to allow the cheese to melt and to add a little color. Can be served immediately, or allowed to cool, then cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. They reheat in the microwave very well.




Whether you make the full-fat version, or the lower fat/cholesterol version I hope you love them as much as we do.




Thank you for stopping by today ~ please feel free to leave a comment;
I love hearing from you!! :)









24 comments:

  1. Oh, Mari, this looks wonderful. I love the presentation (and to be honest, the crust isn't my favorite part of the quiche, anyway!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that looks so good. They are also so pretty. I can't wait to try it. I think I need some deep ramekins. Thanks for the inspiration. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari ~ OMG. Those photos are exquisite ..... and that looks so wonderfully delish! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! This looks so great. What a nice luncheon idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mari
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful quiche recipe. It sounds delish! And it looks absolutely fabulous. This will likely be one of our meals this week. Yum!

    Jane @ artfully graced

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never saw such a beautiful quiche. Please go to my blog for a recipe for Nostradamus' Jam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful. I have never make crustless quiche before. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love this! The idea, the execution and the presentation...and, of course, the instruction so that we too can come up with something creative and tasty. I kept wondering how you got them so tall and well-formed until I got the 'tall' ramekins (didn't even know there were such things but I'll definitely be on the lookout for them). Oh, and did I say...love it!?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again, I am speechless. What a wonderful recipes and the pictures are magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are beautiful! Thank you for the recipe.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea..I do like crust, but it is usually soggy in quiche. I love the idea of making them ahead because they look fresh from the oven. These make quiche look special......and, your pics are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What is not to love about these?? They are gorgeous and I'm sure as delicious as they look. I've never had a crustless quiche, but I can see that I'm going to have to make this very soon! Beautiful, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great! And I think it's a great breakfast idea!
    I'm going to try it this weekend!
    Thanks for posting!
    Your pictures are fantastic!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, I think I have the kindest readers in all of blogland!

    Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a message for me, it means a lot to know you've taken the time to do so. xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adorable. And so prettily garnished. I need to work on my garnishing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pam, I think you're doing FINE just the way things are... I ADORE your blog, you provide lots of great inspiration, and your photography is BREATHTAKING! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful blog!!!! Fantastic recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. mariiiiii..
    I saw this at
    joan's
    you call this boring brown food???
    you are kidding! :))))
    will try this it at once...my vegetarian doughter will love it, I'm sure!
    beautiful photos...complimenti!!
    baciussss

    ReplyDelete
  19. mariii...
    I'm back :))
    this is mine zucchini crustless quiche, obviusly not as photogenic as your's...but very very tasty :)
    thank's for the idea!
    mari's zucchini crustless quiche

    baciusss

    ReplyDelete
  20. Saw this from Joan, Love this, and love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Brii!! Thank you for letting me know... but I cannot get the link to work.:( But thank you for coming back to let me know you made it and liked it, just the same!

    Hello Proud Italian Cook, thank you for stopping by and letting me know you saw it on Joan Nova's blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh mari, I'm sorry
    try this:
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2604/3876842211_cab121f35d_b.jpg

    the photo is on Flickr

    I was so proud I made it
    :))

    I wish you a special 2010
    baciuss

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mari, I am very glad that already you have a terpreter in your blog, it is very convenient!
    Thanks for a great recipe, I made it and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving everything on your site. Plus your photography is excellent, makes me want to take a bite from the screen.
    Do you think any other veggie could replace the zucchini? (just not a fan of them).
    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner