Wednesday

Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken ~ Very Low Fat


After a little over two months of eating "very carefully", we are able to venture beyond the very strict food choices. We're not exactly throwing caution to the wind but, the variety is most welcome!



There is nothing new about oven-fried chicken breasts, but I've tried to cut the fat and calories even more while retaining the flavor and crunch.






The preparation method for the chicken is the same as for pan frying ~





Either pound the boneless, skinless chicken breast to about 1/4-inch thickness, or slice horizontally to achieve the same results.






(Click HERE for a printable copy of the recipe from my recipe blog.)





Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken ~ Very Low Fat
(for 2 medium size half-breasts)
Click HERE for a printable copy of this recipe.


Preheat oven to 350* (F)


For easy clean-up line a shallow rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.

Next prepare the chicken~

The most efficient way of doing this is to line up three shallow plates, or pie plates~

The first with flour (I use whole wheat), about 1/2 cup for two breasts
Another with an egg beaten with a tablespoon of water
The third with dry bread crumbs (Panko, plain, seasoned, or whole wheat/grain.), about 1/2 cup
To the crumbs, mix in a couple of tablespoons of grated Parmesan, Romano or other dry, grated cheese, and any herb or seasoning you like. I also like to add a couple of shakes of garlic powder, a few generous pinches of dried thyme, and a pinch of cayenne pepper.

Salt and pepper both sides of each breast.
One at a time dip each breast, (both sides), first in flour, shake off excess.
Then dip in egg, completely coating; allow excess to drain off.
Finally place in the dry bread crumbs, patting to help the crumbs adhere.
As each is breaded place on the prepared baking pan, with a bit of space between each.
Spray the top of the breasts with a light to medium coating of cooking oil spray.
Bake in center of oven until lightly browned and crispy. In my oven this takes about 20 to 30 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the chicken.

I like to serve with lemon slices, halved and dipped in paprika, smoked paprika, or cayenne pepper.


My neighbors sent over some just-picked vegetables from their garden ~ when the veggies are THAT fresh I like to serve them simply steamed sprinkled with sea salt and a drizzle of good olive oil & a squeeze of lemon.



A very quick, simple and satisfying summer dinner!






10 comments:

  1. Uh...can I come over?
    That just looks like such an inviting plate of food!
    Yummmmmm....W. is a lucky man!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Linda, you KNOW it ~ You're welcome here any time! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo set a place for me, too!
    YUM!
    xo Isa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isa! What a party we could have... (I'd fix something more exiting than this if you and Linda came to visit ~ I promise!) :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Cristine!

    I love the new look of your blog ~ it's so fresh looking. Excellent!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love those lemon slices! How clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really love to have chicken snacks. Crunchy and juicy. This low calorie fried chicken is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks absolutely delicious. I will try this ... my first attempt (using another recipe) yielded less-than-satisfactory results. I'm thrilled to see that you use parmesan with your breadcrumbs ... I did that once on my ovenbaked wedges and it turned out really yum. That's why I can already imagine how insanely scrummy your dish must taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photo is so mouth watering! This is something I want to eat everyday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner