Wednesday

Brunch on the Lawn for Tablescape Thursday


Please come in and make yourself at home ~ I've been expecting you!







It's a milestone for Susan at ~ Between Naps on the Porch !






( Click on logo to see links to all of the entries for this week.)



Thank you for coming as we celebrate Susan's (at Between Naps on the Porch) 50th Tablescape Thursday with Brunch on the lawn.

This afternoon and evening we have thunderstorms and rain, but recently it has been VERY warm here in the Pacific Northwest. But in spite of the midday heat mornings are usually very comfortable and refreshing so I decided to set a table on the lawn in the main back garden. I hope you're comfortable. :)




To help us believe it's cooler than it is I chose a blue and white theme (it's my favorite color combination for the table.)



I hope you'll excuse the uneven exposure on some of the photos ~ the lawn area is open but is flanked by enormous Douglas Fir trees; it keeps the area very cool and verdant, but the sunlight constantly shifts the shade and shadows.





When I was a newlywed (in the 70's) I chose plain white dishes for everyday, it was a choice I've never regretted.




The original white dishes are long gone, and I've had several patterned everyday dishes since then but I've never been without plain white dishes in the cupboard, alternating between the others throughout the week.





White dishes are so versatile, they mix with so many other things & the added plus is that food always looks good on them.






We're going with a bit of a bird theme this time ~ Birds under a cloche, as you can see they are dining, too. :) The little "bird dish" is actually an antique crystal salt cellar from a set, and I just "borrowed" some of my canary's seed for the bird's food.




I got the little white birds at a gift shop a few years ago, I love the shabby finish.


To add a little color I just snipped a length of Hedera Helix "Needlepoint" ivy from one of my houseplants and turned it into a simple garland ~ and that's a Double Delight rosebud from the older rose garden.






I layered a vintage hand crocheted and embroidered German table topper over a April Cornell "Jacquard Peony" tablecloth in Periwinkle. Beneath the cloche is a round vintage hand-crocheted doily.






The porcelain bird napkin holders are from P.O.S.H. Chicago






The dark blue napkins are made by XOCHI , I'm very fond of their linens, they are well made, the patterns and colors are so appealing, and they have such a nice 'hand'. I feel fortunate that a local kitchen store carries an fair array of their table linens. If you have a chance to see them in person, give them a close look (and touch), I think you'll be very pleased with the fine quality.





The jam/preserve container is part of a set of three, a gift ~ I believe it was from Stonewall Kitchen.

I have a small collection of vintage cut crystal salt and pepper shakers of different patterns and sizes. They remind me of my grandmother very much. My only requisite is that they have glass or crystal screw tops (not plastic), I just like the look and feel of the glass tops, as they don't yellow with age as plastic sometimes does.



I've set the table with our everyday silverplate flatware. I'm a big fan of Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa ~ and when I first saw it in her kitchen a few years ago I fell in love with the simple, straightforward and classic design. It's by Chambly, the pattern is "Baguette", made in France. I found it a few years ago at Dean & DeLuca, New York. (It may be available elsewhere in the states as well.) Incidentally, if you are interested and cannot locate the Chambly brand it pairs seamlessly with
Christofle's "Fidelio" silver pattern, I mix them both all the time and have to look carefully at the silvermakers mark to differentiate the two.

My regular everyday white dishes is a set I bought about 10 years ago from Williams-Sonoma ~ very sturdy and plain. Recently (thanks to the suggestion from Michael @ Designs by Gollum, and also Susan, our hostess) I picked up this pattern; a service for 6 by Gibson, from Big Lots.



Usually available for the unbelievable price of $35. for the entire set--- the set was actually on sale for $19.99 recently!! Well, I certainly couldn't pass up a bargain like that ~ so they hopped into my cart and came home with me. I love playing with dishes!






I just love the scroll detail on the bowls and cups.





I layered the new Gibson dishes with my vintage everyday dishes. This blue and white pattern are the dishes we really DO use everyday along with the Williams-Sonoma whites.





I love vintage pressed glass; especially for water goblets.

These are imposters, not old at all, yet sturdy and clear ~ I got them for only $1. each at the Dollar Store. :) I love searching for these little inexpensive treasures.

And these are actually made in the USA!



The teapot by Churchill goes with another set of dishes, but the beauty of blue & white is that it all can work together.




Here's a better shot of the Gibson pattern so you can see the relief detail.


(I still cannot believe the entire set for a mere $20.!!!)




Next I layered my everyday dinner plates on top. I've received several emails asking about the pattern. It's "Liberty Blue" Staffordshire Ironstone.


The dishes were designed by Enoch Wedgwood in the Staffordshire District of
England in the tradition of the 19th century Staffordshire historical blue china.
First made to commemorate America's 1976 Bicentennial (200th anniversary) celebration of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, the dishes were promotional incentives for Portland, Oregon's
Ben Franklin Savings and Loan customers.






More information from the UK "Lovers of Blue and White" website:

"The Benjamin Franklin Federal Savings and Loan, Portland, Oregon, commissioned Liberty Blue in 1975 to mark its 50th Anniversary.


It was an exclusive series of ironstone tableware made by Enoch Wedgwood & Co. Franklin used it as a promotional line to encourage deposits, offering a free basic place setting if you deposited $50 and subsequent place settings were available at low prices for depositors.


The promotion continued until the end of 1976, although in 1977 they offered additionally a special 20” turkey platter free to those, who deposited $5,000.


In October of 1976, Ben Franklin announced that the china would no longer be available. For the following five years, it was sold as a grocery store promotion. The china was very affordable with individual serving pieces selling for $.58 each."





The set features different historical events. Some of the historic scenes depicted on the china are: Washington crossing the Delaware, Lafayette landing at West Point, the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere on horseback, Old North Church, Ben Franklin, Mt. Vernon - George Washington's Home, Monticello - Thomas Jefferson's Home, Independence Hall, Washington leaving Christ Church, and Betsy Ross, the nation's first flag.



Unfortunately I didn't get in on the bargain prices when it was initially introduced; I bought mine a few years ago on the secondary market after falling in love with it at an Oregon Bed & Breakfast Inn.


Thank you so much for stopping by today ~ I hope you enjoyed our little brunch tablescape.


Please leave me a comment so I can visit your blog to get to know you a little better!




Congratulations Susan! Thank you for hosting us each week.

Please click on the logo near the top, or HERE to see all of the other inspiring entries for this week.





49 comments:

  1. I'm speechless! My very favorite color combination on a beautiful table with perfect details, and a history lesson too! Even the birds are enjoying their meal at this gorgeous table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari! This is just perfection in my book. Blue and white...outdoors...just beautiful! You've created a masterpiece!!
    Happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mari! Oh, I'm almost at a loss for words to compliment you on this gorgeous table! It's stunning! The setting outdoors, the table cloths, the dishes, the glasses (I bought some of those too!) The centerpiece! Oh, it's elegant and charming at the same time!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tablescape is lovely. I especially love the birdseed by the birds in the cloche. Very sweet and clever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. girl you must have had a blast playing in the garden with this one... its for the birds for sure! how cute you added seed, but of course you are always over the top perfect with the details. i love every single bit of this, beyond perfect, dang i am jealous of your level pretty green setting, its just movie mag quality!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful blues and whites, outdoors, just perfect for a meal...

    Lovely setting, Mari...

    Glad to be able to stop by today, computer's still on the fritz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Love the blue and white! Your linens are all so beautiful as well as the dishes and glassware. I'm really taken with your jam jar and the silver tray too!
    The whole setting is just perfection!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mari, I love the crispness of your blue and white outdoor tablesetting! The canary seed made me smile:-) Tablescaping can be so much fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! What a beautiful table! I love all of it!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous!!! I love the blue and white...Perfection!!! Every detail is wonderful!!! The little bird napkin rings are too cute and your linens are lovely!!!

    Happy TT!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is all so very beautiful! I really like it all, every detail!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  12. The setting outside is beautiful. I love your white table cloth and the birds in the cloche.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is amazing post! Not only is the table perfection, but the photography is stunning!
    I too love Xochi linens, we carry them at the store I work at, it took me awhile to pronounce it right!:) Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, my...I DID enjoy my time with you on the lawn. And, my..what a pretty table you have for us.
    I have a set of white dishes, as well, and have had some ever since we married. I use them in so many ways. I also have the Liberty Blues..I used them in my July 4th posting. I love them, too, and pick up a few here and there.
    Thanks for showing me such a nice time!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous table. I love the bird theme. The birds with the feed are so sweet. Just absolutely beautiful!

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photography and lovely post. Brunch at your house looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Absolutely, positively beautiful! I love blue and white and this is devine!
    -The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the dishes ... have the dishes and the glasses! Very beautiful blue hues. Perfect setting for a perfect morning!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is possibly the classiest and most beautiful brunch I've ever seen...APPLAUSE...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mari,
    Your table is exquisite. The blue and white is so crisp and clean. I have fallen is love with your dishes ~ they are so beautiful. I love that each is different and depicts a special time in our history. Your attention to all the details makes this table so very special. Fabulous post.

    ReplyDelete
  21. OK, you win. Your's is my favorite setting of the day. I'm just crazy about blue and white. And I actually have very little of it. I don't know why! Now, there's more I can look for. You linens are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, I love all of your blues! Very pretty. Happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Unbelievably beautiful. The colors, the dishes, the linens, your creativity, the little birds under the cloche (love the shabby chic-ness of them, too!), the silverware, the history, the bargains... and in the serene setting of your backyard. Amazing -

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mari, OHG! Beautiful! You have taken my breath away with this one. I just love the birds eating seed under the cloche too - how clever you are!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, my heart skipped a beat over this one! The blue and white was enough, but the birds! Oh, I love them! Just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is stunning!
    I just love every detail you have created.
    The blue and white table theme with the green background is lovely.
    I would feel very special dining here.
    Blessings,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is just my favorite table this week! It is so pretty! You did such a great job! I just love it!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh so pretty, Mari! Very classic. I love the cloche with the birds!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  29. just stunning! your attention to detail is incredible. love the birds! and i learned what a cloche is :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is so unusually well done for this event, it is remarkable. I love the grace with which this table was considered: Not too much, not too litte, everything the best you could find. Oh, bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Like a magazine~ I remember a Blue and white edition of Victoria..It's in the guest room..Just like this~!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Everything you've done here is lovely. I love blue and white dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fantastic table!!!! Love the birds dining under glass! Love the Gibson plates, the incredible photos, the setting ...I could go on & on.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is simply STUNNING! I think my mouth was hanging open at every photo as I slowly scrolled, savoring each one. I adore blue and white, and you just have the best taste in the world! I am in love with your elegant tablescape!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  35. Mary...just simply gorgeous!
    My favorite blue and white always done so well by you...
    I wish I were sitting there with you now...
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a beautiful table, Mari! I love the little birds in the cloche with their own dish of food :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your tablescape is simply gorgeous! I love the pretty tablecloth with the crocheted edges. The Staffordshire Ironstone is just beautiful, and I can't believe the deal on the Gibson dish set! The napkin rings are lovely, too. Fantastic job!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  38. Mari, I drooled all the way through this post. What a drop dead gorgeous outdoor setting for a get together. Love the blue, love the white lace overlay on the tablecloth. The whole thing is stunning. Fabulous photography too!

    ReplyDelete
  39. every week I check out Tablescape Thursday and pick my favorite from all of them. This week it is YOU! Hands down! Beautiful and photographed perfectly! I myself have a lot of the Liberty Blue dishes and love them! Your table makes me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. You do magical things with a tabletop,Mari. I love your blue and white, so crisp and clean and inviting. What a sweet little jam jar.

    Isn't it nice to have our cooler, normal summer weather back again?

    ReplyDelete
  41. I adore your blue and white tablescape out in the garden. I've been eyeing that April Cornell tablecloth myself. The teapot is beautiful and the birds and birdseed are so fun. I'll have some tea and berries, please!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Everything about this one is wonderful. Great combinations, interesting descriptions, beautiful photography (I enjoyed the shifting lighting effects ... added lots of extra interest!).
    VERY nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  43. This is BEAUTIFUL! I truly love the history of your finds...

    Jane (Artfully Graced)

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your table is just gorgeous, I love the tableware, and especially the teapot. I'm originally from England and have been to Staffordshire many times :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a beautiful tablescape in a beautiful setting.. A person just can't wrong with blue and white.. and you've certainly proved that here.. I love the Cloche with the birds.. and the seed in a dish is perfect... Your napkin rings are just adorable... Girl.. I've "got" to get to Big Lots..hopefully, soon... thanks for inviting us to a wonderful tablescape..
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  46. Hi Mari...oh, how I love blue and one and this table is gorgeous! Does anything compare to dining outside?! :-) The lighting and shadows make this table setting all the more enchanting. Beautiful linens and I your Liberty Blue china is sooo pretty. I'm just tickled with the Gibson china, too...who knew that Big Lots had such neat little treasures. I'm so glad Michael spied it and then shared it will all of us. :-) Thanks for sharing all the lovely descriptions and details. Happy Tablescape Thursday! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  47. I simply adore a blue and white tablescape. Actually, I think I love everything blue and white. But isn't it interesting that NOTHING in my house is blue and white???? Why is that???

    ReplyDelete
  48. Thank you VERY much everyone!

    You are so kind to take the time to leave such nice comments.

    I really appreciate each one. Thank you again. xo

    ReplyDelete
  49. Love the new header! The blue and white table is delightful. I have the same April Cornell tablecloth in several other colors. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner