Tuesday

Pan Seared Salmon with Lemon and Toasted Hazelnut Gremolata



Since we're eat a lot more fish these days, especially salmon ~ I like to prepare it simply, then add a bit of a twist to it to tweak the flavor. Trust me, this is another one that you don't need a formal or written recipe ~ it's more of a technique for finishing the pan seared fish. You can adjust the garnish completely to your own taste and preferences.






I loosely based this particular finish on the idea of a gremolata; the traditional garnish for Osso Bucco (braised veal shanks.)






I zested the lemon peel (yellow part only), and one garlic clove (or less) with a microplane, and mixed chopped (toasted) hazelnuts and chopped flat leaf parsley. Then set it aside while I seared the fish... ( reserve the juice of the lemon for deglazing the pan.)






I lightly salted the salmon with sea salt, then brushed both sides of the fish generously with olive oil, sprinkled lightly with salt and seared in a hot pan over medium high heat; just a few minutes on each side, turning once.






Next I removed the fish to warm serving plates and kept warm. To the same pan over medium heat, I added lemon juice, stirring up any pan scrapings; quickly added the garlic, lemon zest, chopped toasted hazelnuts and parsley. Stirred briefly, then spooned this light sauce over the seared filets.



This time I served the fish with steamed broccoli, and baked vine-ripe tomatoes; cut in half, sprinkled with fresh minced herbs, bread crumbs, a good dusting of grated Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake in a 350* (F) oven until tomatoes are hot and toppings have melded and turn golden. You can also place the tomatoes in a shallow pan and place under a hot broiler if you prefer.

Note: My family loves the flavor of lemon ~ if you or yours don't ~ then you might consider reducing the amount of zest, and using only part of the lemon juice, replacing some with an equal amount of water or chicken broth.
You could also omit the garlic, and substitute orange zest and orange juice for the lemon.

I hope you'll keep this simple method in mind when you want a quick and light meal. :)

Thank you for stopping by my blog today!









8 comments:

  1. hi. that looks really nice but i'm definitely not keen on lemon. does it taste lemony??
    My school's lunch is terrible, maybe you could provide us with decent food!
    writeaboutwhat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is yummmmmmmmm.........

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Imogen, Thank you for stopping by! Perhaps you missed reading it... Yes, it IS very lemony; please see my 'note' about that and the suggested alternatives, you can alter it to fit your tastes. :)

    Hi Linda! Awww, THANK YOU, sweet one! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. My neighbour has a friend..who's dad is an MD..in his 90's..he eats salmon every day.That's got to tell us something:)

    I am most certain it does not look like yours:) And beauty enhances enjoyment!
    Gremolatas are just so refreshingly perfect as a topping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, the wonderful benefits we have living in the PNW!!
    My hubs makes an incredible salmon, but lemon is the way to go!

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...and guess what we're having today...

    Did I not tell you we eat a lot of salmon? Although none as beautifully presented as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love preparing fish simply and then topping it with a flavorful garnish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner