Sunday

Homemade Corn Tortillas

Once you make your own, you may never be satisfied with store-bought tortillas again.

No, I don't grind my own corn ~ I use instant masa; just add water, mix and knead for a minute or so. I am so fascinated by people who can pat tortillas out by hand. I have never mastered that technique, so I use a press.

Mexican tortilla presses are readily available at most international import stores. I use an Indian version used to make Indian flatbreads such as chapati, roti, etc.

You may also roll the dough out with a rolling pin if you don't have a press.

Mixing the dough is simple, if you add just enough water to make it a play dough (Play-Doh) consistency you'll have no problem with dough sticking. The dough is rolled into a ball approximately the size of a golfball, then placing it in the press closing the lid, then depressing the lever until the tortilla is as thick or as thin as you like.

Lining the press with a freezer-weight plastic storage bag (clipped and trimmed so it opens like a book), facilitates easy removal of the formed tortilla from the press.

Then you just cook/toast each tortilla briefly on a hot, dry (no oil) comal, or cast iron skillet for a few moments, turning once.

The aroma of fresh tortillas is surpassed only by their taste and tender texture; far superior to store bought!

5 comments:

  1. I can almost smell them cooking - they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that little contraption when I first saw it..

    Yours turned out perfectly.
    You make people want to try things:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful! How much did you pay for yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got my sons to make me a wooden press like the ones we saw when we were in Mexico but I'm not totally happy with my tortillas so far. Mine never seem flexible enough to use for tacos. They are fine for quesadillas cause the cheese kinda glues it all together if they crack but I would love to get it right

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner