Tuesday

Grape Cluster Shaped Bread ~ Using Five Minute Artisan Bread Dough


I used to make this with sourdough bread dough. It has always been popular at wine tasting parties, soup parties, or on the buffet table ~

And since Zoë François and Jeff Hertzberg introduced us to their easily doable recipes in their wonderful cookbook, it is more simple than ever to make.

I recommend their cookbook, even if you don't consider yourself a bread baker. This book may change your mind!


by Zoë François and Jeff Hertzberg
(Click link to take a closer look...)



I use their basic recipe at two days old (easier for me to handle at that point), and simply form the dough into various size balls to form the grape cluster. For this large loaf I used an entire recipe (6 cups flour), of course you could make this much smaller, or shape into individually sized grape clusters, too.


I assemble freeform as I go along, using water as the "glue" to encourage the individual balls of dough to cling to each other.



I build the grape form directly on a flat baking sheet, which has been generously sprinkled with cornmeal and bake it right on the baking sheet, allow it to rise. To bake I place the baking sheet directly on the hot baking tiles, positioned in the center of the oven, with a small pan of water (holding about 8 ounces of water) directly beneath.


It's a fine palate cleanser between wines, and is delicious with deli selections; salumes and cheeses of all types. Perfect for soup parties, too.



If you haven't visited Zoë's wonderful blogs, I urge you to do so ~ she is incredibly talented:

AND

This long-time bread baker cannot thank Zoe and Jeffery enough for making artisan bread baking so easy!

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful Mary...I just recently made the challah dough from the book and in fact just broke down and ordered it last week...it came on Friday. I was thumbing through the book this morning trying to decide what to try next. Then here you go...
    GMTA!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh mary i wanted to make this very pattern over the weekend and never got around to it, its gorgeous! i love all your artistic details, your blog is a thing of beauty and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beau! C'est très beau:)

    To do list:)

    It just keeps getting longer and longer!!
    Thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness!!
    I just stumbled upon your blog and all I have to say is "Amazing"...
    I just sat here pouring over all of your posts and I am hooked.
    This will be perfect for a New Years Eve party I am helping to plan.. which will have an Italian/wine theme to it...
    and that girl scout cookie looks to die for... Needless to say you now have another fan and follower.
    I also noticed we both started our blogs about the same time.. I am a bit of a newbie, but am loving the creative outlet..Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How creative! I could live on bread and butter. It looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it. I can't wait to try this. I checked out this book from my library to see if it was "worth it". It was! ABi5 is on my Amazon wish list. I had great luck with the challah dough- my first blog post was about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is really gorgeous! What a great idea for a party or holiday table.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, this bread is too pretty to break apart and eat! I enjoy coming here and seeing what you have posted...your blog is just so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So gorgeous! I just tried this technique for the first time last week and while I don't think I got enough flour in the dough, the result was still impressive enough that I know I will keep working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is marvelous! Thanks so much for using our dough..

    Jeff Hertzberg
    Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day
    www.artisanbreadinfive.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that's so pretty. It'd be perfect for a wine and cheese party!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner