Wednesday

A French-Irish Girl's Penny-Wise Take on Borscht

With due apologies to authentic Borscht recipes everywhere.
I love beets, I love authentic Borscht...
I found myself with some leftover Horseradish Mashed potatoes...

One russet potato, 2 medium size roasted beets, and a half an onion.

And I wanted dinner in a hurry.

~~~~~~

Happily, it's one of those soups you can just improvise~

My favorite kind! I love to improvise.

I peeled and chunked up the raw potato, ditto the onion and placed them, in a pot with 1/2 water, 1/2 chicken broth, just enough to cover with the liquid by about an inch, then allowed them to simmer, partially covered until fork tender.



Next I peeled and chunked up the roasted beets, allowed them to simmer in the same pot until very tender. Stirred in the horseradish mashed potatoes, a little milk and cream and whirred it around with the immersion blender stick until very smooth.

Garnished with sour cream.

A little fresh Dill would have been nice, too.


Served along with a baby spinach salad and toasted garlic baguette slices...

Voila! Dinner in about 20 minutes.

Happy Tummy & a Budget Meal.

6 comments:

  1. Trop beau!! Wow the ideas I glean from here.
    I'm a lucky camper..between you and Blue Moon:)
    I am blessed indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh mary, this is just beautiful... you have so much creativity in all of your shots, i adore your blog! now i only i could get scott to adore beet soup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! your pictures are always amazing! What a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm discovering your blog and I like it very much, the photos are beautifuland the food makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mari, I'd never thought much about Borscht, until this picture. How could anyone refuse it?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner