Thursday

Flower Glazed Cheeses


For pure wow factor on the cheese plate, I don't think you can miss with Flower Glazed Cheeses. This method is a lovely way to dress up grocery store cheeses (I wouldn't recommend it for artisan cheeses.)


As long as you use untreated, organic, edible flowers and leaves (preferably home grown), it is all completely edible.


I learned how to do this many, many, (many!) years ago from a Sunset Magazine Appetizer Cookbook. You can use any cheese with a flat surface and an edible rind (or no rind at all.)


They are so much fun to do that I'm often disappointed I don't have MORE cheeses to decorate once I get started! The designs are, of course, limited only by your imagination.


Here are some suggestions for edible decorations~
Just remember to choose pesticide-free, well washed leaves or sprigs of herbs, and petals or small blossoms of flowers.

Greenery:
chives, dill, save, thyme, tarragon, rosemary, watercress, cilantro, and parsley.

A few Flower suggestions:
pansies, roses, primroses, geraniums, carnations, calendula, nasturtiums, violets, and strawberry blossoms.

To prepare for use:
After rinsing and blotting dry, store the leaves and flowers in plastic bags in the refrigerator until ready to garnish the cheese.

Flower Glazed Cheese
Adapted from Sunset Magazine's "Appetizer" cookbook, 1984

Everything you need to decorate and glaze several cheeses.

2 cups dry white wine (or regular-strength chicken broth)
Note: Wine will give a clearer, more sparkling aspic glaze than chicken broth.
1 envelope unflavored gelatin (Knox, for example)
Flat-surfaced cheese (any rind must be edible), chilled
Edible decorations; see list above

In a 2 to 3-quart pan, combine wine and gelatin; allow to stand for 5 minutes. Place over medium heat and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved and mixture is clear.

Place pan in a larger container filled with ice cubes and water, stir liquid occasionally until it begins to thicken and look syrupy. If it becomes too firm, rheat to soften, then chill again until syrupy.
Place cold cheese on a wire rack in a shallow rimmed pan. Decide upon your pattern/decorations.

Spoon a coat of aspic over top and sides ofcheese; when slightly tacky (1 to 3 minutes), decorate as desired with the flowers, leaves and/or herbs. Refrigerate entire pan with rack and cheese, uncovered for about 15 minutes.

Spoon more aspic over top and sides of cheese to cover all. If desired add one or 2 more coats, refrigerating after each layer is added.
When cheese is completely covered with glaze, invert a bowl over cheese without touching surface until ready to serve. Can be prepared up to 36 hours ahead.

Any unused aspic (including the drippings in the pan) can be refrigerated, covered, for several days. To reuse; reheat to melt, then proceed as in the instructions, above.

Recipe yields enough to coat six 3 by 5-inch rectangles of cheese with 3 layers of aspic.

I used edible flowers that are blooming in my garden right now
For the Brie I chose purple violas.
Nasturtium blossom, leaves and a blade of chive
on the block of Oregon Cheddar

Yellow Violas on a small block of cream cheese.

If you make these, I hope they bring you and your family and friends much enjoyment!





12 comments:

  1. gorgeous mary, you know i will be making these pronto! and its funny, i have that same sunset booklet! ahh, the good ole days of sunset~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary~
    I tried posting earlier and Blogger said no go:(


    I have to tell you ..I have been making this for yrs also:)

    But I think my recipe is from Country Living magazine..If my memory serves me right~
    I still have the cutout recipe:)

    Every time I host a shower(wedding,babies , etc..) this is featured.
    The first time I made it..it was for childhood friends that came for dinner and truly..yrs later they mentioned it..Pansies I used:)

    So you are right..it's so sweet and special..and you have showcased them beautifully and perfectly.
    Gemstones.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen anything like these...what a beautiful presentation. I would be awed to see these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are absolutely delightful! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say I have never seen anything like this before, but it is amazing! Maybe I'll do this with some cheese I was planning on bringing to a thanksgiving dinner. Your photos are gorgeous as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mari, I didn't even have to look up the blogger's name to know the photo belonged to you.

    I've seen these floral masterpieces before, but had never thought of making them myself. I can't decide which one of your cheeses I like most as they're all just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say that hands down this is the neatest thing I have seen all day! Beautiful! Great photos too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary - this is something new for me - absolutely beautiful! I wouldn't want anyone to touch it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to look at my old Sunset appetizer books to see if I had the one your mentioned. Nooooo! I have the 1976 (just after we were married) and 1990, Why do I feel really old right now?!

    Your photos are beautiful, Mary ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner