Wednesday

Rosettes ~ A Scandinavian Treat


My mother would make these delectible treats a couple of times a year, piled high on large platters with a sprinkling of Confectioner's sugar. They never lasted long around our house between family and friends and it's just as well because they are best enjoyed the day they are made.


Crispy, light and barely sweet, they always remind me of holiday time.

I inherited Mom's Rosette/Timbale set, bought from a long-gone neighborhood department store in the mid- 1950's. For the Rosettes in the photos I used newer, smaller Rosette Irons than my vintage set:


The batter is composed of few ingredients; flour, milk, eggs, a tiny bit of sugar, a pinch of salt and canola oil for frying. I make them in my electric skillet.



The method is simple: Pour the oil to a depth of about 1-inch, heat it up to 370-degrees (F). Place the iron in the hot oil until hot, dab excess oil from the iron then dip in the batter, then into the hot oil. The 'cookie' will firm up immediately and (if the iron was heated properly) it will release from the iron/form in a moment or two. Turn once, drain, and place on an absorbent surface. Sprinkle with Confectioner's sugar and enjoy!




Golden-brown Rosettes piled high on a platter with a dusting of Confectioner's Sugar these melt-in-your mouth, can prove to be irresistible!




Rosettes
Recipes makes about 40, depending upon the size of your Rosette irons

2 eggs
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
Oil for frying; (I use canola oil)

Beat eggs slightly with sugar and salt. Add milk and flour, then beat till smooth.
Heat rosette iron in vegetable oil (or shortening) to 370°.
For first rosette, blot excess oil from iron with paper towel and dip into batter, but do not allow to come over top of iron. Put iron back in hot oil.
Fry for about 20 sec. or until desired color. The batter should firm up and release from the form/iron.
As rosettes are removed from hot oil, drain on paper towels. Place paper towels between layers.
Note: You may need to assist rosette off iron with a wooden skewer or wooden chop stick if necessary. Repeat above steps until remaining batter is used up.
Place in 300° oven. Turn off heat and allow rosettes to cool. Dust with powdered or regular sugar before serving.
Makes approximately 40 rosettes.















24 comments:

  1. I used to make these when I was in grade school... we called them funnel cakes. OMG oh so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look like marvelous winter funnel cakes! I have never seen such a tool; I need to keep my eyes open for these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are so beautiful! I remember when I was little and my mom went to the farmer's market. There was this older gentleman there who sold rosettes. We loved them! So much so that when I was a little older I bought my mother a rosette set for Christmas one year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually had a teenage babysitter who would make these for our two girls while we were out. They were always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these M..I 've had my Rosette Maker for almost 30 yrs!
    Little treats..
    You did them very proud!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so good Mari. These weren't part of my family's heritage so I have always loved them as a special treat at other homes. I love the crisp first bite covered in that sweet coating of powdered sugar - and your photos just make me wish I had a magical screen to reach in and grab one. When you say mini rosettes how big across are they? The ones I usually see are abou 3 inches.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mari - so delicate looking..I remember a neighbor always making these..you're right, they never lasted very long!! Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, I remember these from my childhood. I haven't seen a rosette iron in years. They are so Christmasy and remind me of big snowflakes.

    Wonderful photos, Mari.

    ReplyDelete
  9. we made these when i was a little girl, your food brings back so many memories, its obvious we grew up in the same time and place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Mari, these bring back memories! My mom would make them a few times a year when I was a kid too. I wish I still had her irons. For some reason they used to sell all the equipment at fairs when I was a kid (I just turned 50 now), but I don't seem to see them there anymore. Probably because people don't fry at home as much anymore.

    Similar in texture are Polish Chrusciki, which my family made each holiday. I have a recipe for those on my website, and now that you mention it, those would be a good blog post for me.

    Thanks for the inspiration! (again)

    BTW Em -- funnel cakes are entirely different -- kind of a chewy batter that gets drizzled into the hot oil via a funnel instead of being dipped on an iron. These are light and crumbly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mari,

    You really do make the most beautiful pastries/cookies/etc. Where on earth do you find the time? I am in awe of how artful your baking is.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mari...I'm leaving your page open while I pack because your music is so, so beautiful! What a lovely gift. (I love these cookies, too.)
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are one cookie I have never made. I used to love eating them though on those special Sundays when some of the ladies at our church would bring them for coffee hour. Yours look perfect. I wish I had a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  14. we also call them funnel cakes, but whatever their name they are SO YUMMY!!!
    Thanks for sharing, and hope to see you at my blog again!
    BG

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mari, these brought back fond memories ... With a Swedish grandmother and a Norwegian grandfather, these were really common around holidays. Thanks for the memory.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful cookie! I have never seen these before but now I am anxious to make some!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheri I realize funnel cakes are made differently. My point was that in my childhood, even making them with the rosette tool (which we used), they were called funnel cakes. Not saying that was correct, just saying that is what they were called.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I see, I wasn't sure. Cause they kind of have that look, although the rosettes are much more ornate. Didn't know these were also known as funnel cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful memories for me :) I made them years ago also.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh, these look delectable! If only they sold them in the U.S.!

    ReplyDelete
  21. ur rosettes r soooo pretty..... i jumped on to ur site thru tastespotting n loved the picture of ur house.. it looks so ful of joy n festive..... happpy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are new to me and really would love to try them, they look amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  23. thanks so much
    for me things are different i bought the set when i didnt know what are these for even the nothging was written on the box
    but i thought it looks nice for a dough we use but i didnt try it
    and i kept searching for it original use till i found it here thanks agian
    can i do it without eggs as my kids are allergic to eggs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner