Tuesday

Savory Filled Hand Pies ~ or Appetizers

y




A heartfelt thank-you to my sweet friend Debbie for showing us how to make these easy-to-make savory appetizers. Debbie made them last month, using an Autumn theme.

In keeping with the season I made them using a winter theme; evergreen trees and bells.


Debbie made them for her Thanksgiving celebration this year in the shapes of pumpkins, acorns and fall leaves. Hers came out so well that I just had to try them. Debbie explained that she discovered them when her friend Colleen made them. The recipe was originally published in Woman's Day magazine, November 2008.


You simply use cookie cutters to cut pie pastry (storebought, or homemade) into the shapes you desire then lay your filling (in this case thinly sliced ham and cheese with some Dijon mustard), then place the top layer of pastry over. Pinch the edges to seal, brush the top with beaten egg, then bake in a 425-degree oven until golden brown. You can serve them warm from the oven or at room temperature. They are VERY good.


Here is a link to Debbie's wonderful blog; Mountain Breaths where you can see the ones she made and the recipe.

Here is a cross-section so you can see the inside, after they are baked:


I used large cookie cutters, as I served them along with a green salad for dinner, but you could certainly make them much smaller so they would be more managable as a one, or two-bite appetizer.


Thanks so much for sharing the recipe Debbie, these are delicious and I'll certainly make them again.










16 comments:

  1. Mary you amaze me...I want to come and live with you...each and every meal is a lovely adventure!
    I do dishes and make a pretty good sous chef!
    L :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari, I love your take on Debbie's appetizers. Just perfect for the season, and yours turned out fabulously. (Just like everything else you make.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how wonderful! I love the shapes idea...definitely for my Christmas party next year!!!
    Thank you for all of your great ideas!
    BG

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your family, Mari.

    I enjoy your blog so much. Every visit is a treat and an inspiration. I'm in awe of your fantastic photos and skills in the kitchen.

    Here's to a healthy and prosperous New Year for us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a great idea,and the end result sure does look tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary..these are here too..:) Minis..
    Yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas Mari! Many Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mari, lovely as always! I'm glad I could finally share something with you. You have shared so much with me, and I am truly grateful for our friendship.

    Hugs and a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks fantastic, Mary! Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas! I could just imagine your holiday table overflowing with such pretties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The inside looks absolutely delicious! They're so pretty, what a creative idea to cut them into shapes! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How beautiful! I'm gonna try to remember this for next year. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look so creative and so yummy! I don't know why I never think to make my pies something other than the traditional pie shape.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great idea! They look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mari, I'm just now catching up some. What a cute idea! I can hardly wait to try these. Thanks for posting about them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you everyone! I'm so happy you stopped by and commented. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner