Monday

Potato Latkes ~ Two kinds

I love latkes! For variety I make Sweet Potato Latkes occasionally which are very good, and slightly sweet.
Unlike Russet potatoes, sweet potatoes contain very little moisture so there is no need to squeeze them after shredding. I follow essentially the same recipe as for traditional potato latkes but I eliminate the onion.
Still, my favorites are the traditional ones made with Russet potatoes. I used to grate the potatoes by hand, but over time I have come to prefer using the food processor fitted with most fine grating blade (cheese grating blade.)

I was 5 years old the first time I tasted potato latkes at my friend and classmate, Joel's home. He and his family were good neighbors and lived right down the street from my house while I was growing up.

Joel's mother, Mrs. R., had graciously invited our entire kindergarten class (!) to their home where she had prepared a magnificent feast of Jewish foods, all arranged beautifully on their large dining room table. The table sparkled with delicious food. It was lovely, and everything smelled so good.

My photos hardly do these delights justice, but they really are delicious.


It was love at first bite for me all those years ago. I make latkes a couple of times per year and admit I am no expert but I've experimented and have picked up a few tips along the way.

The traditional recipe I follow is nearly identical to
Some people like their latkes smooth like the ones from a mix, some prefer them chunky, or a combination of shredded and chopped/grated, I suppose it might have something to do with the style you are used to.
I cannot say my latkes are very authentic, nor the most beautiful you have ever seen but they are really delicious. I like the edges lacy and crispy and the middle part tender.

I found an invaluable tip a few years ago which I hadn't seen before and it works very well for me; save and use the potato starch that is rendered from the grated potatoes, it helps eliminate or cut back on the amount of Matzo meal or flour necessary.
The process is simple: As you grate the potatoes put them in a large bowl of cold water. Squeeze the moisture out of the grated potatoes over the bowl of water (the more moisture you leave behind the better the latkes.) Continue until all of the potatoes are squeezed.
By the time you have finished the water in the bowl will have settled and if you are lucky a layer of fresh potato starch will have settled at the bottom of the bowl. That's your BONUS!
Carefully drain off all of the water, retaining the starch. Add the starch to your shredded potatoes and continue with your recipe.
Depending upon the potatoes, there may be a good deal of starch, or not so much. You may still need to add another binder, but for example yesterday I did not, as there was plenty of rendered potato starch.

I would love to know if you have special memories related to latkes.

Do you have a favorite kind/style of latkes? Special have a special recipe you favor, or tricks or tips you use? Please share!

In the meantime I would like to wish all who celebrate, A very Happy Hanukah (Chanukah).









11 comments:

  1. Ok girl...you make a latke just like a pro...are you sure you are not Jewish!
    I fried up 7 pounds of potatoes last night for our Chanukah celebration!
    My house still smells like a latke!:)And brisket!No time for pictures for me yesterday! I love you dreidel box!
    My recipe is very similar to yours...
    Except I use a larger grater and process 1/2 of the potatoes with the
    knife after shredding so you have some long shreds and some not...my Mother never had shreds...I love shreds...so we came to an understanding!
    Happy Holidays my friend!
    You do them latkes proud!
    L ~xoxo :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary..the photo w/ the towewer and dreidl is just perfect! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy.... that looks sooo good! ;)

    Merry Christmas and warm wishes from our house to yours…

    Cielo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous latkes ... the detail in your photos is fantatstic. The colors or the sweet potatoes just POP on the blue background.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look perfectly delicious. I have never seem latkes this way, only the smooth ones.

    Your photos are always so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much everyone! I really appreciate your comments.

    Linda, you make me grin ~ that is HIGH praise coming from you, my friend. ((hugs)) SEVEN pounds of potatoes!!
    And thank you for educating me, I didn't know there is a singular form of Latkes! Now I know better. xo

    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. they look wonderful piled high mary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. they look wonderful Mari! Your photos are always so clear I feel like the plate is right in front of me. I just discovered a recipe for sweet potato latkes this year with chili powder & cinnamon and we loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love making latkes for breakfast. It's a great alternative to hash browns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look excellent, Mary. Mine never look lacy like yours, I must try your method!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner