Wednesday

Salted Caramel - Apple Cake with Toasted Walnuts






Oooh whee! Chunky wedges of tender fresh apple, embedded in a delicious cinnamon-vanilla scented cake. Then enrobed with caramel, loaded with toasted walnuts, and for the finish; it is lightly showered with coarse-flake sea salt, which peaks the flavor of both the walnuts and caramel.








I altered this recipe from King Arthur Flour slightly.
It's not too sweet, which I like. It can be served warm or room temperature; I prefer it warmed. Don't overbake or it becomes dry. Terrific with a cup of coffee or tea, serving it with a scoop or vanilla or cinnamon ice cream puts it right over the top, or perhaps a spoonful of lightly sweetened whipped cream?
You be the judge!


Topping

1/2 cup walnuts

salt
about 20 unwrapped soft-chewy caramel candies (Kraft or Brach for example)Or make your own.
3 tablespoons heavy cream or whole milk


Cake

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream or yogurt
2 cups Unbleached All-Purpose Flour


Filling

2 large apples, peeled, cored, cut into 8 wedges each

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract



Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°F
My NOTES: Other reviewers mentioned it browned too quickly at 350-degrees, they baked it at 325-degrees instead. I struck a good compromise ~ 330-degrees, and began watching it at 50 minutes. Mine was done at 60 minutes, using the toothpick test, ovens vary so your "done" time may be different.
Method:
Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan at least 2" deep; or a 9" springform pan.

Spread the walnuts in a single layer in an ungreased pan, and bake them for 8 to 10 minutes, until they're a light golden brown. Remove them from the oven, and sprinkle very lightly with salt. Set them aside.


Beat together the sugar, butter, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and vanilla until smooth.

Add the eggs. Beat till thoroughly combined.
Stir in the sour cream or yogurt alternately with the flour, using the low speed on mixer. The batter will be stiff.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula, don't be concerned if it's not perfect, just try to spread it evenly.


Toss the apple wedges with the sugar and vanilla till apples are thoroughly coated.

Arrange the apples on top of the cake batter, pushing them into the batter gently so they're partially submerged.


Bake the cake for 65 minutes (see notes), till it's golden brown on top and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.


Remove the cake from the oven, and turn it out onto a rack, apple-side up.


Place the caramel and cream in a microwave-safe bowl, and heat till the cream is showing bubbles, and the caramel is soft.

Stir the caramel and cream till smooth.



Spoon the caramel over the cake, dripping it down into the crevices around the apples.
Scatter the walnuts on top. Sprinkle lightly with very coarse sea salt flakes if desired.


Serve warm, or at room temperature.


Get the printable recipe HERE on my recipe blog.




20 comments:

  1. I really love baked apples. They're always so mellow.

    Great cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary, that is one of the most luscious looking cakes I have ever seen. I wish I could have a piece of it right now for breakfast! Thank you for sharing such exquisite pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caramel & apples you can't go wrong there! I look forward to trying this recipe soon. Your photos just make me want to bring my fork to the screen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That caramel coming over the edge has me!! And caramel and apples really are made for each other - sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That caramel has me drooling! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. I NEED to make this. My mouth is totally watering... gorgeous pic too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - what a gorgeous picture, this sounds absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made an apple cake for TwD earlier this week and dang do I wish I had enrobed it in caramel. That woulda been the fait a'compli (or however ya spell it! LOL).

    yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohh, i was thinking of making something very similar to this on saturday... my husband and i are going apple picking so i'll have a lot of apples to use! this is beautiful, i love the combination of apples and caramel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fantastic - I love apple desserts and they are just coming into full season here. I will be giving this a try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want a slice of that right this second! It looks divine. I just found your blog through tastespotting. I'm glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those photos are so yummy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw this recipe on King Arthur...your pictures make it look
    sooo decadent! I must try this!
    Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your photos have got my stomach growling. these sounds like a great recipe for fall...thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mary, since I have some apples to do something with, this recipe is at the top of the list. If it is anything like your signature brownies I will be in heaven again !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your photo sold me!!! I made your cake and will be serving it this afternoon. I will be posting about it and linking back here since you are my source for it. (Monday Sept 29). Thanks for an amazing recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you everyone! It's a rustic style cake, so perfection is not necessary and easy to mix up. I think it's the caramel flowing over the sides that grabs everyone's attention when you bring it to the table. (Very good the next day warmed, with a cup of coffee or tea, too.)

    Honeyb~ I hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It not only has some of my favorite flavors but your presentation of it is gorgeous. A must try during fall! Thank you, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just found this via a google search, and am making it for my younger brother's birthday dessert tomorrow! Making a homemade salted-caramel sauce and some cinnamon ice cream to go with it! Thank you for the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Is that drool I see on my keyboard. I love the salt/caramel combination!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner