Tuesday

Individual Blueberry Crumbles


Crumbles require less work than pies, and they are always such a homey, comforting dessert; bubbling over the edges of the ramekins.

Anna's recipe is a little different than most 'crumble' recipes in that there is no sugar in the 'crumble' topping, but since I cut way back on the sugar in the blueberry mixture, I added a packed tablespoon of brown sugar to the topping, I thought it needed it.


Proclaimed excellent, I would definitely make this one again.


Anna Pump's Blueberry Crumble
From "Summer on a Plate"
6 to 8 servings


Filling:
7 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed and picked over
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Crumble:
1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 chopped walnuts
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons (3 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into pieces


Preheat oven to 400-degrees (F)

Butter a 2-quart casserole, or the equivalent volume in individual ramekins. (8-one cup ramekins for example)


In a large bowl gently mix and blend well the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and cinnamon. If using individual ramekins, place the on a shallow rimmed baking pan for ease of handling.

Distribute the mixture evenly into the buttered ramekins, or buttered casserole; cover loosely with foil. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 375-degrees (F) and bake for 20 minutes longer.

While fruit is baking mix flour, oats, walnuts, cinnamon and butter in a large bowl. Mix it with your hands until it becomes crumbly.

Remove the ramekins, or casserole from oven, discard foil and distribute the crumble mixture evenly over the hot blueberries. Return ramekins/casserole to oven until topping is brown and the filling is bubbling.

Cool casserole for 2 hours (ramekins for about an hour) before serving.

It's delicious plain, or topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.

4 comments:

  1. Mary, what a gorgeous blog you have!! It is so informative and such beautiful photos!
    Thanks for posting this recipe from Anna! It looks delish! I was so happy to finally get a re-printed copy of "Country Weekend Entertaining" and can now stop going into every second hand bookstore in New England trying to find an original!
    Happy to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Joan! It's great to meet up again & delightful to see you here.

    I'm so happy you found a copy of "CWE", it has become so rare that prices have been commanding over $150. on the secondary market. (I know because I was recently shopping for a copy as a surprise for a friend.) Ouch.

    There is a rumor that it may be released again in the future, in paperback form. (Fingers crossed.) It's my favorite of Anna's books.

    I haven't been disappointed in any that I've made from "Summer on a Plate" though. Anna s a master at flavor combinations, and creating just the right sauce ~ don't you just love that?!

    Again, it's terrific to see you here, please visit often ~ I'm adding new things all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again! Yes, that is where I got my copy about a month ago- the rumor is true!... from annapump.com! I'd run over there right now and order up a couple! I also love "Summer on a Plate"! Anna has great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful news Joan~ thanks for the heads up.

    You bet, I'm ordering a few copies to give as gifts, holidays, birthdays.
    Thank you again for letting me/us know!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner