Tuesday

Spinach-Arugula and Toasted Walnut Pesto

Broiled Salmon filet with Spinach Arugula & Toasted Walnut Pesto

Spinach & Pine nut pesto is a lovely change from basil pesto, the added bonus; bagged spinach is readily available year round. It's also a convenient and delicious way to tuck another vegetable into the meal.

This pesto version includes the peppery sharpness of arugula, and the deep richness of toasted walnuts. It's very good with almost any broiled fish, or simply prepared chicken. I particularly like it with pan sauteed boneless/skinless, and thinly pounded chicken breasts, served with lemon slices.


Spinach-Arugula & Walnut Pesto
Makes about 1 cup

About 7 to 10 ounces fresh baby spinach, washed and larger stems pinched off
(I buy it in the bag)
1/2 bunch fresh arugula, washed and trimmed (more or less, to your taste)
1 to 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
A few grinds freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano
1/2 lemon, juiced 1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

In a food processor or blender, combine spinach, arugula, garlic, salt, pepper, walnuts, cheese, lemon juice, and water. Process until a paste forms. Gradually blend in olive oil, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Adjust consistency by adding a little more water if desired.

3 comments:

  1. That looks really good, and I don't eat fish!!! LOL
    And as you know, I covet that plate!
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful blog you have. I found you from Open Pantry and so glad I did. I'll be back often to visit. Your recipes are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathleen, you made me giggle! I would make it with chicken for you. :)

    Jenny, why thank you! And thank you for letting me know where you found my blog. I welcome you to come on by anytime! It's wonderful to have you here.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner