Monday

Chilled Corn Soup

Several subscribers have emailed me for the recipe pictured in the banner of my blog. I'm flattered! And happy to oblige. Thank you once again for your kind emails! They absolutely make my day. It may take a day or two, but I do answer every one.
Thanks for your patience.


Chilled Corn Soup
Makes about 6 cups
Ingredients
9 medium-size ears fresh yellow corn
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves (tightly packed)
salt
4 cups of water, for blending with the corn kernels* (see my notes, below)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil

The corn can either be boiled in salted water (covered) for 2 to 3 minutes, or you can roast or grill the ears for a smoky flavor instead of boiling.)

Slice kernels from the ears with a sharp paring knife. Place 1/2 of the kernels in a blender container with 2 cups water, purée. Repeat with the remaining kernels with an additional 2 cups of water. Strain into a bowl, pressing th squeeze out the corn liquid, discard the kernel mash.

Add salt to taste and chill soup until cold, at least 3 hours.
In the meantime, boil tightly packed fresh basil leaves for 2 to 3 seconds. Drain immediately, plunge into a bowl of ice water and drain again. Purée basil in blender with 1/2 teaspoon salt the the olive oil. Serve soup cold, drizzled with basil oil.

My notes: When I serve the soup as an amuse bouche (as pictured), I use espresso size cups~I use milk instead of the water to make the purée, if you like it richer cut back on a bit of the milk during the blending process, after the mixture is strained stir in some half & half, or heavy cream to your taste.

When I make it with milk, I omit the basil oil, garnishing instead with a sprinkle of fresh basil chiffonade. I chill the cups, at serving time I rub the cup rims with a cut lime, and dip the rims in a saucer of French basil salt. (Sel de Mer au Basilic, made by Aux Anysetiers Du Roy.)

Adapted from "Sunset" magazine


2 comments:

  1. love the recipe, love the series of pics, send them you know where~

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've never steered me in the wrong direction yet Jain! Thanks again my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner