Monday

Refrigerator Preserves ~ Any Berry

Blackberry Refrigerator Preserves ~

I've been making all kinds of fruit refrigerator preserves & jam for a long time. The first recipes I followed were from "Sunset" magazines back in the 70's. If you haven't tried this method, you may like it as the flavor is less sweet than traditional jams.

This version is from one of my favorite cookbook authors, the late Lee Bailey.
You can use any kind of berry in this recipe. I make it according to the directions, then taste the finished syrup to determine if it needs more sugar. If it does, just add a little more and cook for a minute or two longer until the sugar is dissolved.
.
Berry Refrigerator Preserves
Makes about 1 pint
1 quart berries
1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Wash the berries (if using strawberries remove hulls and quarter them). Alternate layers of berries and sugar in a small non-reactive pot. Bring to a boil, from time to time, then turn the heat down. Stir in the lemon juice and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often.
With a slotted spoon, remove fruit to a small jar. Continue simmering juice until it is reduced by half and becomes syrupy. Pour over the berries and allow to cool. Cover container and keep in refrigerator.
My notes: Blackberries generally require more sugar than other berries. If I make more than one jar I keep the extras in the freezer, and allow them to thaw in the refrigerator overnight when I want to use them. This also makes a very nice topping for ice cream, and simple cakes such as a pound cake or Angel Food cake.
I hope you love it, too!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be trying it for sure. I still have some blackberry jelly from last year (regular canned) but I love freezer jams. The accompanying photos is beautiful. What a precious spoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! The jam looks perfect on those nooks and crannies! and the spoon is so pretty! I love visiting your blog, Mary! Makes me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner