Thursday

Eating Locally: Bacon, Fig & Parmesan Clafouti



A few days out of the month for the past couple of years I've challenged myself to "cook locally"; that is using ingredients grown, raised & produced within 50 miles or less from my home.

There are usually a few ingredients I can't find locally grown or produced; for example~ olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, authentic Parmesan Cheese, Pistachios, etc. But I don't consider that a failure, instead I celebrate the items I am able to find.

This time I was able to use several local organic products in this recipe: dried figs, eggs, bacon, red onion, milk, and an excellent locally produced Port! I suppose I could have substituted walnuts or hazelnuts for the pistachios (but I just love the color they add.)

The recipe comes from Suzana's wonderful blog in Lisbon, Portugal*, the combination of sweet/salty flavors are delicious and intriguing.

As Suzana suggests, the little clafoutis make a perfect warm dish to go along with a simple salad made of baby arugula, which is exactly how I served them last night. Perfection!



Suzana's Bacon & Fig Clafoutis

For 6 small, individual servings
Perfect for your creme brulee dishes

2 eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup Parmesan, coarsely grated
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
12 dried figs, halved
1/4 cup Porto Wine
bacon (about 1 cup), cubed
salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 180°C (360ºF).
Soak dried figs in wine for at least 1 hour to hydrate.
My notes: To speed the process, I very gently warmed the port, then added the cut figs, covered the little pot and let them steep in the warm port, off heat until I was ready to proceed with the recipe.

In a saucepan cook bacon with a little water until golden. Add dried figs and sliced red onion, mixing to combine. Allow to cook for 2 minutes. Pour in the wine. When boil resumes, remove from heat. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs with the grated Parmesan. Pour in the milk, and whisk until combined. Add the flour, mixing while you add it.

Season with pepper and a pinch of salt (depending on how salty the bacon is). Place the bacon mixture evenly into 6 individual greased heatproof plates. Pour the batter on top. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the chopped pistachios. Bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through and lightly golden.

Serve immediately, with a rocket/arugula salad and a simple vinaigrette .
I used a locally grown arugula and dressing made from my homemade vinegar. :)


Suzana, Muito obrigado por uma deliciosa receita!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! Dried figs! I love them and do not have enough recipes..
    As soon as the word bacon is mentioned....
    I am in love:)

    Everything is better w/ bacon.Truth be told.I love it better than pancetta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome, Mari! ;-) I have to say your clafoutis look great, and very yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner