Friday

Moomie's Legendary Sandwich Buns


Moomie is a woman who has been a generous contributor on the King Arthur Flour website for many years. I came across this recipe several years ago and have been making them ever since. I always try to keep a supply in the freezer.

They are much better than store-bought hamburger buns, in my opinion.

Shape them any way you like, long and slender for hot dogs or sausages, or dinner roll shapes.

I usually make the dough in the bread machine, (it is nearly effortless.)

Place the dough ingredients into the bread machine ~

In a bit over an hour the dough will have been mixed, and completed the first rise, ready to shape.

But you can easily make it with a stand mixer, or stir it up by hand (with a bit more effort.)



Then it is just a matter of forming it into whatever shape of bread you want.

The dough is easy to work with; just lightly flour your hands to form into the shapes you want.
Allow to rise once more, place on a buttered or greased pan, then bake.

Moomie's Famous Beautiful Burger/Sandwich Buns
Inspired by a recipe from King Arthur Flour
1 cup water
2 Tablespoons butter or margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
3 1/4 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1/4 cup sugar
(NOTE: I only add 1 scant Tablespoon sugar, otherwise they are too sweet for my taste.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon instant yeast

Place all ingredients in bread machine. Select ‘dough’ cycle. Allow cycle to run.

Remove the dough and place it on lightly floured surface.

Divide into 8 pieces (Sometimes I make 6 portions for larger buns as those in the photos,
or 16 to 18 portions for mini-buns, just adjust the rising and baking time accordingly.)

Moomie's original recipe instructs to: "Slap each piece into a bun shape. Usually 4 or 5 slaps will do it."

(My notes:) I've had better luck by rolling each portion into balls, pleating and pulling the surface of the dough to the bottom, then placing them "pinched" side down on the baking pan.

Place on greased cookie sheets (or bun pans), cover; press them down slightly after 5 minutes, then allow to rise 30 to 40 minutes.

(It may take a little longer for larger shapes, and less time for smaller buns.)

Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Cool on wire racks.

For burgers, split and grill if desired.

Variations: Moomie suggests adding add a teaspoon of onion powder and about ½ teaspoon dried onion to make the dough for a change. I've tried them that way and they are very good. You can also add a tablespoonful of minced sauteed onions or shallots, cooled, then added to the dough ingredients.


To make by hand:

Mix and knead the dough by whatever method you prefer (stand mixer, using the dough hook, or wooden spoon-- it will take longer, and more effort).

Cover bowl and allow to rise for about an hour in a warm place before shaping into buns. (Or whatever shapes you prefer; hot dog buns, dinner rolls, etc.)

4 comments:

  1. Another recipe I am so happy you shared w/ us:) I was so happy to find the Kaiser Stamp.
    I love thsi site:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Kaiser stamp is the finishing touch!! I have been wanting to try this recipe for some time. Not today though it's toooooo hot in here! :-) Thanks Mary for giving us this beautiful site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to give them a try also, Mary! I don't have a bread machine so will have to use my KitchenAid stand mixer. Your minis are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for instructions that let me think i could try this... loving your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner