Wednesday

Bruschetta ~ Thick Sliced

Usually bruschetta is made of slices of bread, grilled or toasted and topped with delicious ingredients.

Sometimes I like to make it on a baguette which has been sliced in half the long way then each of the halves cut on the diagonal into serving size pieces, toasted or grilled then drizzled with olive oil and rubbed with garlic. Usually I top with marinara, either homemade or jarred, then a variety of ingredients (whatever I happen to have on hand.)


This time I browned Italian Sausage, quickly sauteed sliced mushrooms, topped with shredded mozzarella, then baked until hot and bubbly. Then a simple garnish to add color and another flavor layer.


To garnish I add a quick sprinkle of freshly minced parsley, a bit of grated Parmesan cheese and a sprig of thyme, a couple of basil leaves, or your favorite herb.

The possibilities of toppings are only limited by your imagination. Any favorite pizza topping combination could work.
It is certainly not traditional bruschetta, but it's really delicious

Served with a simple salad it makes a fast, yet satisfying meal.

This is very simple one; small to medium size tomatoes quartered, (cut not quite all the way through), then stuffed with some flavorful olives.
Bella Cucina's Farmhouse Olives ( www.bellacucina.com/ ) work really well. But any favorite olive would do, then showered with some red bell pepper slivers if you like. You could drizzle with a simple vinaigrette, but the olives are so flavorful I didn't bother.
This requires little effort for a flavorful meal, or as an appetizer ~ I think you might like it.
I hope you do!

3 comments:

  1. looks like i will copying your dinner tonight, how piggy am i to make the pasta to go with it? can you say OINK???!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks si bon:)

    There's a little song I sing to L.. that has "Bon..c'est bon"..in it.. and a wonderful CD has the words in one of it's tracks also:)

    Immediately I thought of this!
    I bought..... wannabeMarypotstomakeyourlittleclosedverrinedesserts:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jain, you are too funny ~ love your wit. These recipes won't compare in any way to the food you've had in Tuscany (but you can use your imagination!) :)

    Monique, I'm so HAPPY you found the covered terrines! I know you'll add your magical touch. I was thinking of all of the possibilities (as the blackberry bushes are loaded right now.)
    I can't wait to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner