Tuesday

Coconut Cupcakes ~ The Barefoot Contessa


These are decadent, there is not doubt about it ~
but DIVINE!
One of my favorite cupcake recipe. Thank you Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa!!
But I only make them if I can give all of them away, except maybe two (or three.)



Coconut Cupcakes
Makes 18 to 20 large cupcakes

3/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 cups sugar
5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut

Cream Cheese Icing (recipe follows)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer running on low, add the eggs one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well. In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, in three parts, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut. Line a muffin pan with paper liners.

Fill each cup to the top with batter.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.
Frost with cream cheese icing and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

I use an ice cream scoop to fill the muffin cups.

CREAM CHEESE ICING:
for 18 to 20 large cupcakes
1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
3/4 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
1 1/2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Blend together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the confectioners’ sugar and mix until smooth.

NOTE: As much as I love frosting this makes much more than you will need for the 18-20 cupcakes, but the excess freezes beautifully in an air tight container. Just thaw in the refrigerator and give it a few stirs before using.

Recipe adapted from Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa

7 comments:

  1. your blog is the best cookbook on the market! you offer us nonstop food, flavors, and ideas all wrapped in a gorgeous package. we are so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little sweet clouds..They are definitely keepers..
    We are lucky to have you:)
    Not everyone's end up looking as glam as yours:) Thanks for the dress rehearsal tips:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh, I've made these and they're so good!!!!

    have a delicious day =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'll be darned. I was doing a search on coconut, and stumbled onto your blog.

    Mari, after all these years I had no clue your name was actually Marisol. Which is exactly the way mine is spelled on my birth certificate.

    And hello to the gang.

    Love your new blog Marisol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sol!!!! WELCOME!

    I was just telling Monique that I had NO idea your real name was Marisol. I always have known you as Sol... like the SUNSHINE I love. :)

    Marisol is an abberated verion of how my (French) surname is pronounced, it's been my nickname since school days.

    I'm so honored to share it with you. :)

    May I have your permission to add your website to my favorites? We need to share your gorgeous (and ethereal) talents with more of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. em! Welcome to you too. And I'll ALWAYS remember to pronounce your name as marLAYna :).

    I must go catch up on your blog!
    Welcome in, anytime! It's a pleasure to have you here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard so many wonderful things about this cupcake of Ina's. I went to the FoodNetwork site and even printed the recipe but have yet to try it. I really, really need to get on it!!
    Thanks for reminding me about it!

    BTW, your plating and photos are terrific!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner