Thursday

Crash Hot Potatoes


My new favorite was of preparing potatoes! The recipe is from "The Pioneer Woman" blog, it was recommended to her by an Australian follower of her blog.
The recipe is so simple ~ bring water to boil in a pot large enough to fit as many potatoes as you wish to make. (I used small red waxy potatoes.) Add salt and potatoes to the boiling water and simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.
Generously oil a shallow rimmed baking pan with olive oil and place potatoes on the oiled pan a few inches from each other. With a potato masher press down on potatoes making a cross-hatch design. You're aiming to make a rough surface area that will brown up nice and crispy.
Brush the smashed potatoes with additional olive oil (this will help them brown and turn nicely crusty when baked.) Sprinkle generously with coarse (Kosher) salt, and freshly ground pepper. Sprinkle with finely minced fresh herb of your choice. I used rosemary this time, I think thyme, chives or sage would be delicious, too.
Bake in a preheated 450 degree (F) oven (rack placed in the uppermost position) and bake for about 25 minutes until nicely browned and crispy around the edges.
Voila ! Magnificent potatoes.
~~~~~
You can find more detailed directions, along with plenty of photos of each step of preparation at Ree's (The Pioneer Womans) wonderful blog:

10 comments:

  1. I made them last night too :) Last night I used thyme and rosemary but I think I like chives the best - and lots of fennel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan! What GREAT idea to add fennel with the chives ~ I'm definitely going to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aha, I'm still learning my way around, Susan ~

    I was able to delete the duplicate posts, but those ominous "comment deleted" remarks took their place.
    lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this look great! jacque pepin and rr both have simialar recipes, but you don't finish them in the oven. i am too hungry to be on your site...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim shared a similar recipe w/ me..and we have loved it since:)

    I need a better masher..we are disfiguring ours..

    MMM BON!Your pics lead us all into temptation~

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mar... just a big YUM from me. I'm craving these big time now!

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on your beautiful blog.

    We love the 'Crash Hots' also. I think they could make a wonderful addition to a breakfast plate alongside eggs.

    ~ Jean

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments everybody!It's wonderful to see each of you here. :) :) :)

    I'm going to have to look into all of the other variations of this recipe and try them out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner