Saturday

Fresh Blackberry Pie


As soon as the berries begin to ripen each summer I cannot wait to use them in in many different ways. One of my favorites is Fresh Blackberry Pie~


It's such a simple recipe, no peeling or slicing as with apple or peach pies, just wash and toss the berries with sugar, flour (or tapioca), dot with butter and bake off in your favorite pastry dough.

Fresh Blackberry Pie
6 to 8 Servings
1 quart fresh blackberries, washed & drained
(I usually use about 5 cups, rather than 4)
1 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
pastry for 2-crust 9-inch pie
1 tablespoon butter

Roll out half of the pie pastry and line a pie plate.
In a large bowl mix blackberries with sugar, salt, and flour.
Place the berry mixture into the pastry lined pie pan.
Dot with butter.
Roll out top crust; place carefully over filling and flute edges.
Cut 3 or 4 slits in the top.

Bake in a preheated 450° oven for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350° and bake 25 to 35 minutes longer, or until pastry is golden brown and berries are bubbling.
If using a greater amount of berries, as I do, you may need to increase baking time by a few minutes.

5 comments:

  1. There's something about the LOOK of a pie to..homemade..that just pleases all the senses..Your is perfect.I have not made a blackberry pie yet..I may just have to now:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. pass me a slab, i mean piece please...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crust is a work of art, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, what a wonderful blog you have! Just this morning I wished for blackberry pie..I remember the first time I had it as a child, baked in my grandparents camper after we picked the berries. Picture perfect Mary, just like everything on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi ladies! Thank you ~ it's so good to see you here. :)

    Monique, those little pies you made recently with the lattice crusts were so beautiful, I've been dreaming of them. Jacques is such a lucky man.

    Jain, I nearly lost my ice water over that remark! lol.

    Waving "Hi" to you Susan!

    Debbie, what happy memories blackberry pie must hold for you. I'll always think of that whenever blackberry pie comes to mind. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner