Thursday

Grilled Rib Eye Beef Steak

A perfectly grilled rib eye is an occasional treat at my house.
When the outdoor temperatures are too warm to comfortably grill outdoors, as has been the case recently, I pull out the trusty Lodge cast iron grill.

It's big and heavy, with wide grids, it allows you to sear a killer steak.

I get a well marbled rib-eye steak from my local meat store; allow it to sit at room temperature for about 15 to 20 minutes to reduce the chill from the refrigerator.
Then season the steak on both sides liberally with salt and pepper. This time I used Lemon Pepper instead. A lot of the seasoning stays with the pan when you remove the meat, so be generous with it.

Preheat the grill until it's very hot, then melt a little butter mixed with some olive or canola oil and quickly brush the grill with the mix. Next lay the steak down on the grill, and press firmly with the back of a spatula to sear in those appetizing grill marks. In a minute or two, lift the steak and give it a 90-degree turn (still on the same side), press down again to develop criss-cross grill pattern. Continue grilling another minute or three, depending upon how well you like your steak cooked. Then the steak over and repeat on the other side.

For the juiciest meat possible, don't move it around excessively allowing the juices to be seared and sealed within, and flip only once.

Here it is, sizzling away, right after flipping.

I cook mine to an interal temperature of 140 degrees (F) as registered on an instant read thermometer. There will be carry-over cooking time once it has been removed from the grill, the meat will gain a few degrees and continue to cook during this time, so always remove it a few degrees short of your final goal temperature.


Remove the steak from the grill and place it on a warmed serving plate or platter; loosely tent it with aluminum foil to retain some the the heat. For the juiciest bites, allow the steak to rest for 7 minutes or so to allow the natural juices to retreat back into the meat before cutting.


All plated up, and ready to eat!

A squeeze of fresh lemon juice is a nice finishing touch if you have some on hand.

Mmmm! Medium-Rare & Juicy Perfection.



Here it is served with Sauteed Mushrooms, 'Crash Hot Potatoes', and a with a nod to the 1950's; a wedge of crispy, cold iceberg lettuce and 'My Favorite Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing'.

3 comments:

  1. oh your meal is killing me! it looks sooooooooo good! i have a gas stove, does it work on that? you just place it over on high and i can have a meal like yours? do i have to go shopping now too??? the salad and potatoes are perfect compliments... do you ship to ca? 108 today, i need an indoor grill, and no meat bees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your medium rare to a juicy pefection is my first choice cut to:)

    That's my way:)

    I have a round cast iron w/ ribs..:) It works too..

    I still like my meat marinated in J's marinade..so I know I am not a true connaisseur:)

    We had those this week.. and I was in heaven.

    Just beau! The fork pic:) My choice today:)

    Monique

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect 'trio'. Looks like at least one meal next week is taken care of ;) Thank you, Mary!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner