Wednesday

Orange Cream Dream ~ Ben & Jerry's


So creamy and delicious ~ there are several versions of this one floating around. I like this one because it contains no raw eggs, so the ice cream base doesn't need to be cooked. Frozen orange juice concentrate adds a bright orange flavor; the cream mellows it out.

Ben & Jerry's Orange Cream Dream Ice Cream
2 cup half & half (also known as light cream), but not low or non-fat cream.
1 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk* Chilled until it is cold.
1/3 cup orange juice concentrate; thawed
(I usually add an additional Tablespoon of the orange juice concentrate)
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* Note: "Eagle Brand" is one brand of sweetened condensed milk, (it is different than plain canned condensed milk as it has sugar added.) You'll find it near the condensed canned milk in the grocery store.
In a large bowl whisk all ingredients together until well blended.
Pour into ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
Makes one generous quart.



6 comments:

  1. umm i know my husband would love this! sorry gotta use fresh juice, its a ca law...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Growing up..and yes here I go again..:) Orange ice cream was both my mom's and MY fave.
    I need to go to the USA and get half and half:)

    Thanks Mary! And photogenic to boot..like a dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jain, With the astounding abundance of citrus you grow I can see why you would prefer using fresh! I'd use it in a heartbeat *sigh*, this one relies on undiluted frozen orange juice because of the thick, syrupy consistancy. But your idea makes me crave a real orange juice popcicle! Yum. :)

    Bon jour Monique~ Il ya de l'espoir!!
    I looked on line at the Epicurious site; in the food dictionary (from "The Food Lover's Companion")it states that half & half (or light cream/ table cream) can be made by mixing equal parts each of heavy cream and milk. :)
    How fun that you and your mother both loved orange ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary, this looks wonderful! I'm going to try it this weekend. I remember loving Dreamsicles when I was a kid ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary,
    I really should try this. I know DH would love it. Maybe in a couple of weeks when he is recouping from surgery. It looks so good...everything you do looks so good!
    Jayne (who still can't remember her password)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you love it Susan!

    Jayne, I hope it's smooth sailing for your DH ~ I happen to know he has a wonderful and caring nurse at home. :) Your beautiful food will speed recovery, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner