Tuesday

Indian Fry Bread Tacos ~ Snack Size



Indian Fry Bread ~ Crispy, light puffs of pastry are often brushed with butter and drizzled with honey. They can also be used in place of a tortilla to make a type of Native American Indian Taco.








Usually each fry bread is rolled or patted into the diameter of a regular corn tortilla ~ but this time I took the liberty of adjusting them to appetizer, or snack size; about 3-inches in diameter.






The simple dough is soft and easy to shape; no yeast required ~
the leaven is baking powder.








This time I used ground turkey, seasoned as for Southwestern Chili ~ diced onion, minced garlic, a favorite chili powder, cumin, fresh oregano, a bit of fresh thyme, salt and pepper. I browned the ground turkey in a hot pan with a little oil, reduced the flame to medium; added the onion ~ after a couple of minutes, stirred in the remaining ingredients allowing the mixture to cook to bring out the fragrance of the seasonings. Then added some water and simmered until almost all of the liquid was reduced.


Because the turkey-chili filling is so moist and flavorful I did not bother with any kind of salsa; instead topped with the usual taco condiments ~ grated cheese (Monterey Jack and Parmesano Reggiano), chiffonade of lettuce, diced tomatoes, green onions, in lieu of sour cream I used Greek-style yogurt. Cilantro and diced avocados on the side.


Of course you can fill the mini-fry bread with whatever you like ~ any kind of meat or vegetable filling would be delightful ~ no matter how you fill them, beware because I think you might find them almost as addictive as my family does. :)
















If you would like a printable copy of the Fry Bread recipe I use, you can access on my recipe blog
I've also listed a link to a page with several variations of the recipe there.




If you make these, I hope you are as fond of them as I am.




Thank you for stopping by!






14 comments:

  1. How cute! I recently blogged about fry bread but never thought of making minis. Great idea! Your fry bread looks DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just came home from work and have only nibbled all day~
    I would love these right now..and your photos are edibly beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I've made these many times before but would never have thought to do it this way!!! I'll have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look really delicious, I will try these with both your turkey recipe and a chicken tikka filling. stunning photos. Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mari, my friend, is there anything you can't do? This looks so delicious! Your blog is a highlight in my very busy day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! I will have to try them soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These bring back fond memories. I haven't made Indian Fry Bread in a long time and these look so yummy! I love the idea of making "minis"!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks absolutely amazing, fresh and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I was in high school, I lived on an Indian Reservation in Arizona. We'd often go down to the tribal headquarters where they had a snack bar that served fry bread. My favorite topping... beans and cheese. Yum! We made them at home, too, using self-rising flour. Beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These tasty little bites look so delicious. This is my favorite kind of food and can't wait to give them a try. Your photos are good enough to eat. Beautiful, Mari.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I went to Humboldt State University, and often times the Hoopa Indians would sell fry bread in the quad. My husband and I would go nuts over them. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those look amazing!

    Definitely on the list to try - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man do these look good! I have some leftover tacos ingredients, but want to be creative instead of throwing them in a tortilla. This will do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is my first message here, so I would like to say hallo to all of you! It is uncommonly pleasure to go your community!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner