Sunday

Silky Acorn Squash Soup ~ Low Calorie and Healthful, too.



I adore soup and we enjoy it all year around ~ Sometimes as the main event, but it also makes a great starter to a meal to rein in run-away appetites. :)







Often I'll use up bits of vegetables to clear out the refrigerator veggie drawer this way. Other times I'll make soup out of one main ingredient, as in this soup. There was one lone acorn squash in the pantry basket and I was craving soup.
The bonus is that this one is very healthy and low in fat.





It couldn't be more simple to put together ~ just cut the squash in half, remove the seeds and reserve if desired.* Roast or steam the squash halves until tendered (no need to peel). Allow to cool. While squash is cooling, sweat a quarter, or a half of an onion (diced), in a medium size pot, in a small amount of olive oil until translucent and tender.

When the cooked squash is cool enough to handle, remove flesh with a spoon and add along with the onion to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until as smooth as you like, adding enough vegetable or chicken stock to thin to make the soup as thin as you prefer. Return to the pot the onions were cooked in, and heat until hot. Taste for seasonings, adding salt and pepper to taste if needed. The soup can be enriched with a tablespoon of butter, and/or cream, but I like it without just as well.



You can use all kinds of other vegetables in place of the squash for the soup, I just look in the fridge vegetable bin or pantry basket to determine what soup to make. :)



* Roasted hard-squash seeds: If the squash is young the seeds are tender, I clean the them of squash fibers and rinse well, then toast on a lightly oiled baking sheet in a 325* (F) oven until very lightly golden brown and crisp, turning once or twice while they are roasting. Sprinkle lightly with salt, (and any other herb or hot pepper) if desired while they are still hot.

Good for snacking, or as a garnish for the Acorn Squash Soup.









Soup is something I never tire of ~ if you try this method, I hope you love it too!


Best wishes for a healthful and delicious day!

xo ~m.










18 comments:

  1. Oh, it looks so good, and I love the beautiful blue soup dishes. They are just perfect. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary that soup looks wonderful and of course everything looks better in blue...my favorite color!
    K~xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! The blue bowls with the Squash soup is spectacular. Love your header pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's my blue china gal, these are the exact pics i adore of yours, true blue and perfecto!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOOh Mary, I have those same little casseroles but nothing I have made ever looked as pretty in them as your soup. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a bowl of soup and yours looks delicious in the pretty blue bowls.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soup can be the whole meal for me!! Beautifully presented Mary!I too am grateful to have those little casseroles:) Too cute !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi friends! Thank you for taking the time to leave such sweet comments. You all make my WEEK! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mari these pictures are so beautiful. I adore acorn squash and am looking forward to making this in the late summer/early fall when the acorn squash comes!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds perfect! I just can't eat soup during the summer, but last winter we had lots of it and I expect we will again this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love a comforting bowl of soup. Placing it against the blue bowls is sheer beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow..that is possibly the most beautiful plating and presentation of soup ive ever seen. The blue background and bowls are gorgeous. What a feast for the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mari,

    I just wanted to let you know I have your blog open and am making your soup. :)

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mari,

    May I blog about this please? Of course I would mention you and link to you.

    Thanks,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just made this and it was soooo tasty - thank you for the recipe. I added some garlic for a little kick. Will definitely make this again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for blogging about it Laura~ I'm honored!

    Hi Lucy, Thank you so much for letting me know. I think the garlic is a brilliant idea! I'll try it that way next time... we LOVE garlic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This was terrific! Your recipe was the simplest that came up through a search -- so glad I chose to make it! I added some curry powder, fresh ground black pepper, garlic salt, and chili powder and used rice milk instead of broth. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner