Friday

Thanksgiving ~ With Power Issues! (The electrical kind.)

Photobucket



I hope everyone who celebrated yesterday had a wonderful day.



Due to intermittant power blips during the past few days, I was forced to make some changes in my menu. Just one of those things you come to expect if you live out in the country around here.




Photobucket





I went with traditional Fall colors, and a casual theme with mixed china; some Spode, some Lenox, and some No-Name brand things mixed in.




I served the salads on favorite leaf-shaped plates given to me by a very special friend.




Photobucket








Each year I try to add some new pieces to add to the holiday tables. Last year it I bought these little covered pumpkin soup bowls. I think a number of my gardening friends have them, too. :)





Photobucket




As you can see, they are not an exact match to the Lenox soup tureen, but I always have been drawn to more of an eclectic mix on the table so it all works out.




Photobucket




Since there were only four of us, I didn't actually serve the soup from the large tureen, I just thought it would make a nice centerpiece.




I wrapped some live English Ivy around the tureen platter, and draped long tendrils of the ivy between each place setting to add a little whimsey and color.


Photobucket





I found this version of the recipe for the Cream of Almond Soup on-line published by a couple of sources.

I believe it originates from Spain. It was another first time recipe. 

I highly recommend this ~ everybody loved it!




Photobucket




Keeper! When you want an elegant, and not-too-filling soup, do try this one. The cilantro garnish adds a very subtle flavor nuance, and I will serve it that way again. However, if you don't care for cilantro you can just top with a few toasted, slivered almonds.




As you probably have noticed, if you've read my blog for a while, I favor composed salads. If I'm serving salad for a dinner party, nine times out of ten it will be a composed salad; for as long back as I've been cooking.




This one is right near the top of the list of my favorites.





Photobucket





The baby greens are a Spring Mix grown by a local Organic farm, they are so tender and delicately flavored and provide a perfect background for anything else you might want to include in your salad.





Photobucket





I had intended to include some local Oregon Dungeness Crab, but there was none in the market, so I bought some Snow Crab legs and claws instead. A sliced avocado, and Grapefruit Supreme (carefully sectioned grapefruit with no membrane) were the other ingredients.





Photobucket




I made a lightly flavored Creamy Lemon dressing to drizzle over, it complements all of the components really well.




Simply prepared fresh cranberry sauce is my favorite, just sugar, cinnamon and a little water then simmered for just a few minutes until the berries 'pop'. As the sauce cools the natural pectin in the cranberries thickens the sauce up nicely.





Photobucket




I'm looking forward to sliced turkey sandwiches on whole wheat with some cream cheese and cranberry sauce!





And if you're like me, there is just NO time for photos when your guests are waiting to dine ~ the soup and salad I was able to photograph before dinner.
But I made a mock-up of the dinner plate afterwards as I was tidying the kitchen:




Photobucket




Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Traditional Thanksgiving dinner, comforting and good!
I had to skip the Sweet Potatoes Dutchess because of the power issue I couldn't make them ahead; so I simply cooked and mashed them with some cream and butter.




Instead of making
Mom's marinated mushrooms, I simply sauteed sliced cremini mushrooms and tossed them with the lightly steamed green beans in a little bit of browned butter until heated through.




Photobucket




And my family's traditional San Francisco Sourdough dressing, with onions, celery, and heavy on the sage.

The recipe has been in my family for generations, one of those that is never written down, you learn by watching.


And it's my favorite, it's just not Thanksgiving without it.




Photobucket




The only dessert I was able to make was a pretty platter of these muffin-size Pumpkin Cheesecakes, with a walnut crust, topped with vanilla whipped cream, cinnamon and confectioner's sugar.
First time for this recipe as well. I tweaked it a little bit.



They were very good and I would definitely make them again.








In spite of the power challenges, we had a very nice Thanksgiving 2008.




Photobucket



I hope you and yours did, too!

Thank you for stopping by today. :)











22 comments:

  1. I really like the cute pumpkin bowls you used. Also, the mini pumpkin cheesecakes look like they can be licked off the plate. Very inventive considering the power issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - how gorgeous. Looks just amazing

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful table! I love all of your dishes. The meal looks terrific - especially the salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew it would be fabulous, and it is! Great looking table, Mari, and spectacular food! Your table with an outage looks better than mine at full power, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks absolutely wonderful! Would you share your source for the soup bowls?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things -

    1st - how do I get invited to your house for dinner? I'm willing to wash dishes!

    2nd - I MUST have those little covered pumpkin soup bowls - can you share who makes them or where you go them?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful presentation. I love the way you did everything. We get so used to family style dining ...I wish I could present a meal this way! We had 7 for dinner and it gets a little difficult with a tiny kitchen...no proper prep space!
    You inspire me...thank you...I love the soup pumpkins!Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful mary, and hope you are having a happy bday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your soup tureen and bowls. Everything sounds wonderful and looked so good. I'm glad you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the kind comments, it's so nice of you all to take the time!

    Susan and Andrea, the covered pumpkin bowls are from the Christmas Tree Shops (a chain in the eastern United States).

    http://www.christmastreeshops.com/

    The bowls are a no name brand. Every once in a while you may see them offered on ebay. I hope you can find some!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS! I would love to have been in your home - power or no power!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary - everything is absolutely gorgeous...the table settings to the menu. I will not only wash dishes..I'll do the floor, windows and anything else you can think of...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous, Mary. The salad is making me salivate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely gorgeous table setting! The salad looks so good I want to lick the screen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, gorgeous table Mari! Just beautiful. I really loved the pumpkins bowls and tureen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your table is beautiful, Mary, and I love the look of your composed salad. That would be a great 'after the decadence' meal for me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful, Mary, I felt like I was reading a magazine!
    Yes, I have the bowls too, but how did YOU get them? I paid 1.99 for mine!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Great spread and beautiful table. I usually go for china,but this year I did less formal and mixed it up a bit too. Your food looks fab! I love sourdough stuffing,and yours looks a lot like mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I thought for sure I already posted..but I guess not!! You did an amazing job with power issues. Your table is so cozy and intimate. Your plates are beautiful and I love the pumpkins. Just as pretty on your Thanksgiving table as they were on Kathleen's Halloween one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your table looks gorgeous - picture perfect - just as I imagined it to be :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful table you created...and what a wonderful dinner! (PS Happy Birthday, Mari!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tablescape. make me want to throw out my Thanksgiving stuff and buy new.
    Sheila at www.Raggedykingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner