Wednesday

Baked Crab-Stuffed Jumbo Shrimp


One of my favorite ways to elevate Shrimp to party fare! If you like Shrimp and Crab (or Scallops) I believe you'll like them prepared this way as much as I do.


The bonus is that prepared this way they are the perfect entree for a special occasion celebration, or dinner party as they can be made up to a day ahead, refrigerated then baked right before serving. A rice dish served along with a simple vegetable can round out the meal.



Baked Crab (or Scallop) Jumbo Stuffed Shrimp
6 Servings (Adjust to make more or fewer servings)
Adapted from 'Gourmet' magazine, 1996

Can be completely assembled up to 24 hours ahead, cover and refrigerate until baking. Increase baking time slightly to compensate for the refrigerator chill.

For stuffing:
1 cup chopped mushrooms (about 1/4 pound)
3 tablespoons minced onion
2 tablespoons minced celery ribs
1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves)
3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 pound scallops, chopped, or lump crabmeat, picked over
1/2 cup chicken broth
32 Ritz crackers (about two thirds of a 12-ounce package), crushed into coarse crumbs


18 jumbo shrimp (about 2 pounds), shelled, leaving tail and connecting shell segment intact
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 teaspoon paprika
Chopped fresh parsley leaves

To Serve: lemon wedges

Preheat oven to 375°F. and butter a large baking dish (or two)

Make stuffing:

In a large heavy skillet cook mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, and parsley in butter over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and liquid mushrooms give off is evaporated.

Add scallops or crabmeat and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, 3 minutes. Stir in broth and cracker crumbs and remove skillet from heat.

Butterfly shrimp by cutting lengthwise along inside curve, almost completely through. Split open shrimp and devein. Mound about 2 tablespoons stuffing onto each shrimp, pressing gently, and put shrimp, stuffed sides up, in baking dish.

Melt butter and drizzle over shrimp. Sprinkle shrimp with paprika and bake 20 minutes, or until stuffing is golden.

If desired sprinkle tops with a few additional buttered cracker crumbs and place under broiler for a few moments until golden browned on top. Watch carefully, as they will burn quickly.

Garnish shrimp with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.



If you have a chance to try them, I hope you'll let me know if you like them too.

Bon Appétit!

10 comments:

  1. Crab & shrimp are two of my FAVORITE things! So this looks delish! No real cooking going on in the rent house, but will bookmark the recipe for later!! Thanks Mary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need to be neighbors. I would love to have this!

    I made the mini bundt cakes with brown sugar icing last evening. They are awesome! I did sub butternut squaush since I have so much, but otherwise, all else is the same as you did. Check out my post today, I mentioned you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey B sent me your way and I'm so glad she did! Your stuffed shrimp are so elegant. Can't wait to look around some more...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh My, those look so good. I'm copying the recipe. I love shrimp and crab and the recipe sounds easy and I like the do ahead thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos! Everything looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Craving them..right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look just beautiful!
    I use exactly the same recipe...it is wonderful! It is also great to use for stuffed baked filet of sole.

    I want to grab that baby right through the screen!

    L*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is one of my favorite restaurant treats...it would be fun to try this at home. I love the idea of scallops in the stuffing. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baked crab? Jumbo shrimp? Together?
    Ok, now I have to do something to stop all the drooling.
    The presentation looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner