Thursday

Lemon Pistachio Cookies


If you would like something a little different in a cookie, I think you might like these, particularly if you are fond of Pistachios.

Not too sweet, and with a very nice slightly crisp-crumbly texture. You can add the fresh lemon basil as the recipes states, substitute it for mint or just omit it. (I think some chopped lemon verbena might be nice, too.)


Lemon Pistachio Cookies

2 cups Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Butter or margarine (at room temperature)
3/4 cup Sugar
1 Egg
1 tablespoon Grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon Lemon juice
1/3 cup Chopped fresh basil, or chopped fresh lemon basil (optional)


Mixture in which to roll cookie balls prior to baking:
1/3 cup finely chopped pistachios
3 tablspoons granulated sugar

Stir together and set aside.

For the cookies:

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, mixing until combined. Add lemon rind, lemon juice (and lemon basil, if using.)

Stir in the dry ingredients, blending thoroughly. Wrap and chill the dough for 1 hour or until firm.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Shape the dough into 1" balls. Roll the balls of dough into the reserved pistachio-sugar mixture until coated. Place 2" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Press cookies down with the bottom of a small glass, or the palm of your hand to flatten them slightly.

Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden. Transfer to racks to cool.
Yield: About 5 dozen.

Mari's review:

These are VERY good. Although they were touted as the "Ultimate" cookie I'm not sure I'd consider them an "ultimate" cookie by any means, but they are very good and make a delightful addition to a cookie tray or as an accompaniment to tea, hot or iced, or sherbet or a sorbet.

A medium lemony flavor (the lemon is perceivable), but doesn't overwhelm. Minced Lemon Basil, Basil, or Mint would be a nice addition, per the alternate recipe.




These seem to be really popular because every time I have served them there are none left!

12 comments:

  1. As always, beautiful pics! Great sounding cookie too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound wonderful. I will definitely try these. They would be a good summer cookie when the fresh herbs are in the garden

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my favorite cookie! I thank you each time I bake them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! These cookies are calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you displayed this plate of cookies with all the green accessories. Beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your presentations are always so pretty..And I like that you always say if it's true are not that they are ultimate:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those cookies are beautiful. I love lemon and pistachios, so I'm sure the combination would appeal to me.

    Your photos are pretty enough to frame!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It figures my lemon basil just keeled over with the first frost, but I'm saving this one just the same. They're lovely Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I love coming here... you always have the most beautiful pics and awesome food... thanks for the ideas… and the recipes! ;)

    Have a lovely weekend….

    cielo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow these look great. It's nice to have unusual cookie recipes. Especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look so good. They're going on my "will make soon" list. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner