Saturday

Buckwheat Oven Pancake...


Not exactly from scratch, but delicious just the same.

Perhaps you have a working grain mill near where you live?

The mill nearest to where I live is Butte Creek Mill. You can click on the name to learn more about it. I do plan on sharing more about this fascinating mill in the future.

What I love to do on a lazy weekend is make pancakes (or a single, big pancake) from their fresh products.

This time, a big pan Buckwheat pancake, cut into wedges. While hot from the oven it's served with Better Butter (click to see the recipe) and real maple syrup or homemade jam.

Do you know that buckwheat is not actually a true grain but ground seeds from the herb plant, so some who are allergic to wheat flours can eat buckwheat with no problem. Although there are some who are allergic to buckwheat.

I've only used the Butte Creek Mill Buckwheat mix to make this, but I'm certain you make it with most any pancake mix, just make sure to butter the pan for neat and easy serving.

I butter my trusty old cast iron skillet very well, prepare the mix as if to make individual pancakes, then just pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in a 375-degree (F) preheated oven until puffed, golden brown and done.

It's a really simple way to serve wedges of pancakes, and allows the cook time to make some wonderful side dishes such as a fruit plate, scrambled eggs and bacon, ham, or sausage, etc.


Question:
Do you have a working grain mill near where you live?

I'd really like it if you would share information, links, and any favorite products as I love to support our remaining privately owned mills.
Probably the most well known grain mill in Oregon is Bob's Red Mill , perhaps you are familiar with their products as they are sold in many stores.
If you're not close to either of these mills, or stores that carry their products, you can still order their wonderful products through their respective websites. They have some nice gift ideas for those hard-to-buy-for people, too.

.

6 comments:

  1. Oh Mary..do you remember? We have similar vignettes:)?


    I love this one..
    I remember being startled at our pans and hens:)

    You have displayed them perfectly.

    I don't think I have a working grain mill near our home..I don't know:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. No working grain mills here either. I just love the lighting and staging of the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, another lovely educational post. I googled to see if there were any mills near us and there is The Stafford County Flour Mills Co. (probably a couple of hours away.) I've seen their products locally. Now I need to find out if they have tours or allow visitors.

    http://www.hudsoncream.com/index.taf

    By the way I love many of Bob's Red Mill products - the steel cut oats are one of our favorites.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi mary....im new to ur beatiful blog......very colourful snaps and presentation.....good work.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just discovered you through foodie blogroll. Its great to meet another blogger from the Pacific Northwest. Terrific blog and wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Monique, I sure do remember it ~ it always amazes/surprises me to see when we have similar preferences in things! :)

    Hello Marsha, what a nice thing to say. Thank you so much.

    It's so good to see you visiting Cynthia!
    Thank you for the link, I look forward to checking that out.
    Thanks also for the heads up about Bob's Steel Cut Oats, I usually use McCann's, but I'll give Bob's a try.

    Hi Tina and Cathy! Welcome in, it's great to see you here. Thank you for taking the time to comment. I hope you'll come back often.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner