Monday

Cake of 1000 Faces



If you're looking for a simple, yet versatile recipe for a great little cake this may be the one.

I first found it in "Sunset" magazine at least 10 years ago. Take a look at the recipe and allow your berry or fruit options from the basket (or freezer) and your creativity help you decide which direction you would like to take it.

Not fancy at all, but it usually pleases when you need a little something sweet at tea, snack time, or for dessert. It even goes well with the morning coffee.


Cake of a Thousand Faces
About 8 servings


Preheat oven to 350º (F)

Use any juicy berry (except strawberries), or pitted cherries, apples, pears, peaches, nectarines, etc.

1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar (I reduce the 1 cup in the cake by a bit)
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1 cup fresh, or frozen (non-sweetened), fruit of your choice
1 Tablespoon powdered (confectioners) sugar

Method:

I use an electric stand mixer, or hand mixer for this recipe. (But I'm sure you can put it together with a spoon, a whisk and a strong arm.)

Butter and dust with flour a 9 inch cake pan with removable rim.

Combine 1 cup sugar and 1/2 cup butter in a large bowl; with an electric mixer slowly beat to combine, then on high speed until well mixed.

Stir the baking powder to 1 cup of flour. Lightly beat eggs with a fork to break up. Add these ingredients to the sugar/butter misture. Mix slowly to combine, then beat on high until the batter is well blended. It will be a stiff batter.

Scrape batter into cake pan and spread to smooth.

Scatter the fruit evenly over batter. Sprinkle fruit with 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar, (and any spices you would like.)

Bake on center rack of oven just until cake begins to pull away from sides of pan, about 55-60 minutes.

Run a thin-blade knife around pan rim. Let cool at least 10 minutes before removing rim. Or, if making ahead, wrap cake airtight when cool and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 day.

Remove pan rim, dust with the powdered sugar, and cut into wedges.




For a pretty finish, place a lacy-paper doily (or other stencil) on top of the cooled cake, shake confectioner's (powdered) sugar over the top of the cake. Carefully remove the doily/stencil, lifting straight up... then stand back and admire before you cut into delicious wedges.

Hope you love it for its goodness and simplicity as I do!





10 comments:

  1. This sounds fantastic. I also printed the pork chop recipe. I think I'll just let you plan my weekly meals. Your recipes are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative, and come up with such fabulous menu's, Mary! That cake looks absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great, versatile recipe! I love to have recipes like this on hand for baking on a whim.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. This looks lovely. I love that you can use different kinds of fruit depending on what's available. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your food always looks so appetizing. I am always on the look out for new cake recipes so I will definately try yours. Thanks for sharing X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple recipe you can alter like this are always handy to have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipe collection is amazing, Mary :) There are so many wonderful 'older' recipes out there - thank you for sharing this one. Your photos are gorgeous, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love versatile recipes like this! And the crackly top looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great cake....I need a good recipe for another apple cake. I have a ton left from my mountain trip and this one sounds great....

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks too pretty and sounds too good to pass up. Thanks my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner