Tuesday

Rugelach ~ Tuesdays With Dorie



My FIRST Tuesdays with Dorie (TwD).

This weeks selector is Grace from Piggy's Cooking Journal, if you want to see some beautiful rugelach and other gorgeous baked products do check out her blog, and get ready to be drooling. :)

*Sigh* Now on to my attempt at Dorie's Rugelach recipe...



I've made rugelachs before with no problem, and I usually LOVE Dorie's recipes, but I had some problems with this one.


As you can see by my results, my version of Dorie's recipe did NOT produce pretty rugelachs.


I'm not sure what went wrong with the recipe but I found the dough difficult to handle, and it almost disintegrated in the oven. :(


The recipe makes enough for two dough discs, each disc producing 16 cookies.


The first batch I filled as Dorie suggested, with raspberry jam, cinnamon sugar, finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and nuts (I used toasted, sliced almonds, rather than pecans), and I omitted the currants.


Hmmm, I didn't care for the way the chocolate baked up... that batch really looked awful!


So I filled the second batch with just raspberry jam, cinnamon sugar, and toasted, chopped pecans. Easier to roll and they baked off better than those with chocolate.


I was a little distraught that these didn't come out anywhere near as well as my favorite recipe for rugelach, it's Ina Garten's~ The Barefoot Contessa's recipe.
Thinking it was just ME, I checked out my friend Em's beautiful blog ~ The Repressed Pastry Chef.
Now Em is a much more accomplished baker than I am, so I was a bit relieved (sorry Em!) to find that she also had some issues with this recipe.
I wish I had checked out Em's blog before I made the recipe.


The recipe stated not to overmix the dough, so I probably didn't mix it enough, and if I were to make this recipe again, I would pulse the dough ingredients a few more times and would cut each disc into 12 sections, rather than 16.


But, with apologies to Dorie, I think I'll stick with my tried and true recipe from The Barefoot Contessa.

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you didn't like these, but I'm really glad you joined the group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look beautiful! I only got 12 out of each of my discs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there! Welcome to TwD!!!!!!! So glad you joined and I know you're gonna love it as much as I do... perhaps even more ;-)

    I really *really* struggled with Dorie's rugelach recipe. When I made the rugelach again, I was tempted to try Dorie's recipe again... but I was afraid to **waste** the ingredients a second time. I thought maybe I should turn the FP *on* instead of just pulsing 6-10x. I was so afraid of overworking the dough I followed the dough recipe to-the-letter. In the end, I went with Ina's recipe on my second go round and am pleased that I did.

    I really REALLY liked using the grated chocolate... I think it gave better control as opposed to using chocolate chips or even chopped chocolate. Dunno, might just be me ;-)

    I have to ask... are your photos of Dorie's recipe... or... Ina's recipe? I think your rugelach is beautiful but coming from you that is no surprise whatsoever :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, thank you sweet ladies for your support. :)

    I'm looking forward to next Tuesday already! What a great group.

    Em, it didn't even dawn on me to GRATE the chocolate, that's a terrific tip.

    These are from Dorie's recipe--- can you tell it's the same 3 or 4 cookies in ALL of these photos?! lol.

    They were the only 'semi-presentable' ones of the entire lot. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like them or not, your photos are perfect. They look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary ,your Rugelach look wonderful. I know several bakers who have had trouble with this recipe. I have my own favorite and I still love it the best.
    No matter what, those babies look gorgeous....and I bet they tasted great too.
    Beautiful pictures!
    L :*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. These little beauties look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always such pretty pictures and I love your China pieces that you use. I know a lot of work must go into making this site so lovely. It is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner