Tuesday

Wonton Shrimp Blossoms





I first tasted these treats at a bridal shower several years ago ~ they were so good and so popular, I knew I had to get the recipe. I scribbled it down on the back of an envelope, and have been making them at least once a year ever since.




I don't know what the original name was, so I just call them Wonton Shrimp Blossoms, because they resemble a flower blossom. It works for me, but you can call them whatever you want ~ I just hope you will try them. They are great in hot weather or cold and with frozen shrimp so readily available now, you can enjoy them anytime.



Don't hesitate to use frozen shrimp for this recipe as it is just one component of the final product; it is cooked and chopped before mixing with the other ingredients so the texture doesn't matter so much.




If you are looking for a shrimp appetizer that won't break the budget, this might be the one for you. Only 10 ounces of shrimp makes 24 appetizers, but they have a nice shrimp flavor and the wontons baked this way add a great contrast to the creamy filling.




Wonton Shrimp Blossoms
Makes 24 bite size appetizers

24 square wonton skins/wraps
1 Tablespoon butter, melted
10 ounces peeled, cooked shrimp, finely chopped
2 green onions/scallions, finely chopped
1/3 cup carrot, finely grated
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
Small pinch cayenne pepper, or dash of Tabasco sauce
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)

Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray. With a pastry brush, brush one side of each wonton square with melted butter and gently press into muffin cups, buttered side up.
Bake 8 minutes or until brown and crisp. Remove from oven and cool.

Meanwhile, combine cream cheese and remaining ingredients, mixing well.

With a small scoop (or 2 teaspoons), fill each baked wonton cup with a rounded scoop of shrimp mixture. Place filled cups on a baking sheet as you fill them, then bake 5 to 6 minutes, or until filling is hot and bubbling around edges.




Make plenty because everyone always gobbles them up. There are never any left when I make them! I hope you like them, too.












12 comments:

  1. Oh yes!! You are speaking to my heart!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely making these! They look and sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look so ggod..I love filling won ton cups with just about anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything in wonton wrappers make such pretty appetizers, but when you add shrimp to the mix, you pretty much have it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These do look good - wish I could reach in for one right now!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. These are just beautiful! Makes me want to eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks great. I will have to try them. What would we do without mini muffin tins this time of year?

    ReplyDelete
  8. beautiful everything mary! plates food, all gorgeous~

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound gret...can't wait to try them! Thanks for the recipe, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice! I will definitely give these a try over the holidays. The best part is that I have most of this stuff on hand already! That's the kind of appie that gets made lots, one that doesn't require special trips to the store.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did it and these were a hit! I was worried my family was going to fight over them, they were so delicious. I will definitely be posting the pics on my blog and linking to this one. Great great great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter made these last night!! Yum yum yum..she found them ..she made them..imagine my surprise..
    When my daughter makes YOUR food:)
    I was proud :) Of both of you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner