Saturday

Miso Glazed Salmon



I prepared this for Christmas Eve dinner, it goes together really quickly. I think you may like this method of broiling Salmon filets as I do. The thick, flavorful miso-based spread turns a deliciously deep brown under the broiler while the salmon remains juicy and succulent beneath the coating.





It's very good.



Miso is a fermented Soybean based product. If you are unfamiliar with Miso, you can learn more about it HERE and HERE.





Miso Glazed Salmon

About 4 servings


(Please see my notes at the end of the recipe.)

1 pound of Salmon Filets
(This works best on filets that are not thin)
1 cup Miso (white miso if you have it, I used organic barley miso)
1/2 cup Sake, or dry cocktail sherry
3 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Mirin Vinegar (or unseasoned rice vinegar)
1 to 2 teaspoons Sesame Oil
3 Scallions thinly sliced
Toasted sesame seed to garnish, if desired


In a small bowl blend miso, sake (or cocktail sherry), brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar until smooth.

Reserve 1/2 cup of marinade/spread and set aside.

Rub salmon with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil and place in a shallow non-reactive dish.Pour or spread remaining sauce over the salmon and place in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours, or up to 6 to 8 hours.*

Pre-heat oven broiler. Add salmon skin side down in the broiler and brush or spoon the reserved marinade onto the salmon.

Broil for 7-8 minutes,or until fish filet is no longer opaque looking (insert knife tip into thickest part and peek to check.) The salmon should have a dark glaze on the top.

Remove from oven, plate up and garnish with sliced scallions and sesame seeds, if using.

It's very good served with Coconut Rice and a simple green vegetable or salad.

Bass or Cod filets can be substituted for the salmon



* Note: I have made this without marinating at all, just mixed the marinade/spread and coated the fish as described and broiled immediately. It is perfectly acceptable and delicious.






Also, the filets I usually buy are about 6 ounces each. I halve the marinade recipe amounts for two filets (12 ounces total) and it is plenty!





I served it with toasted Coconut Rice, and coarsely shredded zucchini, quickly sauteed in a little olive oil and a bit of minced garlic & a sprinkle of salt, then drizzled with a little lemon juice upon plating.
















7 comments:

  1. You make everything look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great combo of Asian flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I all of a sudden want to have miso marinated salmon tonight. Am in the middle of my detox week but salmon is something I have frequently in the last days but am looking for some interesting ideas so to motivate myself to keepeating light, healthy and delish at the same time. I added some grated ginger to the marinate and half the portions for me and my hubby : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried this recipe last night and it was delicious! thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got a similar recipe from Fitness Magazine and made it last night. It was so tasty! Theirs is a lighter version of this. I served mine with Coconut Ginger Rice and a side of sugar snap peas that had been sauteed in a tsp of oil, and sprinkled with salt, pepper, and a pinch of brown sugar.
    Theirs also called for hot sauce, which gave this a sweet/hot flavor.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner