Saturday

Egg Foo Yung with Shrimp


I had always thought that Egg Foo Yung was a Chinese-American dish, rather than an authentic Chinese recipe. However, recently, I read that it actually is a Chinese dish based on a recipe from Shanghai; Fu-Yung Egg Slices which is made with egg whites.

Rather than part of a multi-course meal, I usually prepare it as a main dish with soup, or rice on the side. When I steam rice, I often steam extra just so I can make some kind of Fried Rice the next day, as Fried Rice is best made with cold or cooled rice.

You can serve with just the plain gravy, or add other ingredients. I prefer shrimp. It's excellent with our fresh Oregon "Bay Shrimp", however if they are not in season I buy the small frozen Bay shrimp, sometimes called Salad Shrimp. They are sold precooked, so I simply stir them into the gravy just before serving, to heat them through and so that they won't overcook and become tough and chewy.



Egg Foo Yung
4 servings*

4 Eggs
2 cups bean sprouts (mung), chopped into bite size pieces
1/4 small white onion, chopped
1 or 2 green onions/scallions, chopped, plus additional for garnish
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil (such as canola)

Gravy Ingredients:
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (such as canola)
2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup chicken broth
1 Tablespoon Oyster Sauce (Asia aisle)
1 teaspoon Dry Sherry (Cocktail Sherry), not cooking sherry
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper

Method: Make gravy first, and keep warm while you prepare and cook the egg mixture.

In a medium size bowl combine eggs, sprouts, onions, flour & salt, mix thoroughly.

Heat wok or heavy skillet over moderate heat until hot. Add 2 Tablespoons oil and heat. Ladle mixture into 4 mounds in wok. Using a spatula, gently flatten the mounds. Cook until the underside is brown, turn over, add the remaining 2 T oil, and continue cooking for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove and drain.

Lightly score the top of each patty with an “X” and arrange on serving platter. Pour gravy over all and serve.

To make gravy:
Mix oil & flour in a pre-heated skillet and cook over medium heat to make a roux. Gradually stir in broth along with remaining gravy ingredients, cooking until desired consistency is reached. Stir in any of the following, if desired:

Diced cooked chicken, pork, shrimp, or vegetables (mushrooms are particularly good), however shrimp are my favorite.

Adapted from Chef Chu's Distinctive Cuisine of China, Harper & Row.

*Note: This is very popular at my house where it serves two as a main course. I always double the gravy because we like it 'saucy'.



7 comments:

  1. I love the header of your house. The Christmas lights are quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house looks so nice dressed up for Christmas :)

    The egg foo yung and the fried rice look super delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I never would think to attempt!! Your house looks beautiful..love all the lights...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Holidays Mary!
    I love all your asian inspired dishes..their presentations..and now so nice to see your home lit up for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, that looks so good! I don't know enough about Chinese food to know what's Chinese-American or authentically Chinese, but I tend to embrace the cuisines that evolve through emigration just as much as those that evolve through tradition. I think my boyfriend would LOVE this dish, especially given his recent shrimp obsession. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely 'header' photo, Mari!

    This is a meal I don't normally think of making but I should! Yours looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for the egg foo recipe. It is my all time favorite of chineese food. This seem simple enough for me to give it a go. I love shrimp egg foo. As soon as our snow goes I will get the ingridents and do it. Did I mention I am a lousy speller. So please read what I ment. :) TTFN

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner