Saturday

Timbales de Broccoli


No last minute scurrying with this recipe, as you can assemble it several hours ahead and bake in the bain marie when you are ready to serve, which makes it a good choice for your dinner party.
It is not not fussy like a souffle, so it can wait patiently for you in its hot water bath if dinner is slightly delayed.

But no need to wait for your next dinner party it's a delicious way to serve broccoli anytime.


A mildly flavored and creamy, tender custard, even those that claim not to like broccoli may change their minds over this one as it doesn't have the texture or strong aroma or taste of broccoli prepared the usual ways.




Timbales de Broccoli
4 -six ounce servings

These timbales may be made a few hours ahead, refrigerated then bake when you're ready to serve. (If right from the fridge allow extra minutes to compensate for the chill factor.)

Ingredients
3/4 pound broccoli florets.
My notes: Stems can be utilized, too, just chop them in small pieces and steam/cook longer than the florets. Add the florets near the end of cooking time when the stem pieces are beginning to become tender.
3 Tablespoons creme fraiche or whipping cream (whipping cream/ heavy cream works fine in this recipe)
1 egg, plus 1 yolk
1 Tablespoon chopped spring onion/scallion (optional
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
salt and freshly ground pepper


Your favorite white wine butter sauce (beurre blanc)
, to serve (optional)
fresh chives, or thinly sliced scallios to garnish.

Directions
Preheat oven to 375-degrees (F)

Lightly butter four 6-ounce ramekins. Line the bases with greaseproof paper and butter the paper.

Steam the broccoli in the top of a covered steamer over boiling water for 8 - 10 minutes until very tender. Or boil in salted water until easily pierced with a knife tip.

Put the broccoli in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and process with the cream, egg, and yolk until smooth.

Add the spring onion, if using, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Pulse to mix.

Spoon the puree into the prepared ramekins and place the ramekins in a baking dish.

Add boiling water to come halfway up the sides, then bake for 25 minutes, until just set.

Invert onto warmed plates and peel off the paper. May serve with a Beurre Blanc sauce; pour a little sauce around each timbale and garnish with chives.

To my mind the sauce might be too much for this recipe, I think it's just perfect the way it is.




I made the timbales in these porcelain oval ramekins. A large number fit into a big roasting pan, making them the perfect shape for baking many at once.
I bought quite number of them a few years ago from Crate & Barrel for a party I gave. Their capacity is about 6 to 8 ounces, a very useful size and I've used them many times for a number of recipes. They were not expensive, and may be still available.






13 comments:

  1. They look delicious and that they are not fussy would make them right up my alley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you include dish information with your post. But it begs a follow up question/explanation - where in the heck do you store all your beautiful things?! Do you have a special building, just for dishware?

    I saw a picture of a warehouse for all the props for the Martha Stewart magazine and I vowed one day I would have such a thing. Okay maybe on a smaller scale but I would love a room with shelf after open shelf and neatly labeled drawers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may have shared this before? Cause I've made them..:) melt in your mouth!
    Yours look lovely!
    I've made it w/ carrots too..it works..Little dishes are cute too Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks wonderful, Mary! That would be a lovely side dish to a holiday meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great recipe, Mari, thank you. I've made a brocoli puree before but never timbales, I look forward to making this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your nice comments!

    Andrea ~ I WISH I were as organized as M.Stewart. :)

    I get teased a lot about my dishes and kitchen gear. *blush*
    I'm putting together a few pictures of my storage "system" ~ I guarantee, it's not one anyone will probably want to follow. lol! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mari, I make a broccoli purée, but I've never placed mine in a mold. Something I'll definitely keep in mind for next time.

    Btw, that gorgeous color would convert most broccoli nay sayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. please take pics of yoru storage system, Andrea and I want to be you when we grow up! ^_-
    You have all the best dishes....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colour!! It looks healthy, yet delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I might even eat broccoli prepared like this...it looks beau!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These could get me to eat my veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it possible to make these in - say - muffin tins? would they hold? was thinking would be a good thing for the kids lunch.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner