Tuesday

Not your Momma's Cheese Ball...

Photobucket





My mother would always make a few Cheese Balls or Cheese Logs to serve around holiday time, and not the ordinary variety; always some good ones with a bit of a twist. But never one like THIS one!




Photobucket
This one has lots of things going for it; and is deliciously different than any cheese ball I've ever tasted.

The first bite will surprise you with a multi-layered flavor & texture burst. A wonderful play of salty-sweet followed by the creamy-rich, warm scent of curry mingling into the mix makes a compelling combination.




I came across the recipe on one of my favorite blogs;
Robin Sue's Big Red Kitchen .


Robin Sue ALWAYS has something wonderful going on over there. I urge you to go check her blog out, it will likely become one of your favorites, too (if it isn't already.)

Thank you Robin Sue, and Karen V for sharing the recipe.
This certainly would make a perfect holiday appetizer ~



Photobucket



Curried Cheese Ball

8 ounces cream cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
3 Tablespoons dry sherry (Cocktail Sherry, not cooking sherry)
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon curry powder
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
pinch cayenne pepper

~~~~~~

For the Coating~

2 to 3 Tablespoons prepared Chutney of your choice
1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped salted peanuts
1/2 cup thinly sliced or finely chopped scallions/green onions; both white part and green tops


For the cheese mixture:

Place all ingredients (except coating ingredients) in the bowl of a stand mixer and blend until smooth.
Note: You may also use a powerful hand mixer to mix ingredients

Select a two cup container (a bowl or jumbo cup, etc.) line interior with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang of plastic film over the outside edge.

Place the cheese mixture into the plastic lined container and pack down evenly. Fold plastic overhang over the top to cover. Refrigerate for at least four hours or preferably overnight. May also be frozen at this point.

To assemble, shortly before serving:

Uncover the top plastic film and invert cheese ball onto a serving platter. Peel off the rest of the plastic.

Spread a thin layer, about 2-3 tablespoons of chutney over the surface of the cheese ball.

Combine the remainder of the coating ingredients in a small bowl and toss until evenly mixed. With your hands evenly sprinkle and press the coating mixture into the chutney so it adheres.

Tip: You can use a piece of plastic wrap between your hands and the coating to assist in pressing so it doesn't stick to your hands.

Refrigerate until serving time; serve with plainly flavored crackers. Buttery or whole wheat crackers are very good with this cheese ball.

Robin also suggests that you can make a layered dip out of this; simply assemble as you would a 7-layer dip ~ the cheese spread sprinkled with the coating mixture, then repeat until the ingredients are used up.






Photobucket



It is VERY good!



Photobucket


Mom would approve!


Photobucket








8 comments:

  1. Yay!! I am so happy you liked this. Your photos are lovely, as usual, you make it look so much better than mine! I like the music on here by the way, very relaxing! Thanks for the nice comments and link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this over at Big Red Kitchen but haven't made it yet. I think I am in the mood now, though. I just enjoyed some homemade Indian food, so anything curry sounds (and looks) good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Le Coconut will be most welcomed here!

    How delish does that look?!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks sooo good! That last picture - I wanted to take it from your fingers!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been looking for some appetizer ideas for a few holiday parties coming up. I think I just might add this one to the list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the green onions on top! Adds such great color and flavor too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...I am sitting here with my mouth open just waiting for you to pop that cracker right in my mouth!

    Looks wonderful an your pics are fabulous as always!

    L~xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner