Saturday

A Thank You Luncheon

Photobucket


Today I'm hosting a Thank You luncheon for my friend Gigi.
Gigi is an animal lover, who takes good care of my two birds if I'm away. And occasionally she will pet-sit the dogs and cat if they are not boarded.

Two of our other friends will join us, so it will be just four ~ and a vegetarian menu.




Photobucket





If things unfold as they usually do once my guests arrive, I doubt I'll have time for the camera but I'll try to capture some photos of the food as I prepare it and include the recipes in upcoming posts.





I set the table late last night, so that part I can share that much right now.



Photobucket



When it's just a small gathering I prefer to served in the dining nook/bay window next to the kitchen which adjoining the great room.


I'll have the fireplace lit, but since it has been so foggy and chilly I thought little glass flower pots with votives in them would warm up the table a bit.



Since Gigi loves birds, I've chosen a bird theme ~



Photobucket



I thought it would be a good time to use these bird plates, they are from Mary Carol Garrity, as are the embossed porcelain Czech chop plates underneath, which I've used as chargers.



Photobucket



Not much is blooming in my gardens right now, except the primroses, and the rosemary is blossoming. The Thanksgiving cactus would clash with the color scheme.



Photobucket



But I have PLENTY of Douglas Fir and other pines on the property, so for the centerpiece I chose a vintage milk glass candy dish on a silver tray with young Douglas Fir branch tips placed beneath it.




Photobucket




I can give a peek of one of the appetizers which I made yesterday (best if it mellows in the refrigerator for a day):




Photobucket



I just whirred up a traditional hummus recipe in the food processor.
Photobucket



And surrounded with store-bought baked sea-salt pita chips.
You can split and toast pita wedges if you prefer, but when I don't want to make them myself Stacy's brand is the one I use.
Photobucket



Instead of garnishing with a swirl of extra-virgin olive oil,
this time I plucked some baby mint leaves from the herb garden, sprinkled some toasted pinenuts and a few drizzles of vinegary hot sauce (like Frank's).



And now I better SCOOT, a few more last minute details before the doorbell rings.



I'll try to get some more photos of the food.


Photobucket


I had to dress the bird up a little for the celebration. :)




Photobucket







,

14 comments:

  1. Your table is beautiful! The menu sounds wonderful too. I'm sure everyone will love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy your luncheon, Mari! It looks outstanding! You covered it all so perfectly from martini's to dessert! Great menu and beuatiful setting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just perfect.
    Tip to toe..
    I mean beak to tail:)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mari, such a thoughtful lovely luncheon.

    I recognized your bird plates and then read the text. Mary Carol Garrity has two Nell Hill's stores close to us. Her newest one is in a new upscale shopping center nearby where my friend and I often go to lunch. Her original store is in Atchinson, Kansas less than hour from us.

    Her original store is remarkable... very much sensory overload. Her newest store is very nice, with an emphasis on custom design services.

    Our local Sunday newspaper magazine has an weekly Mary Carol Garrity article and these are posted on the newspapers website each week.

    http://www.kansascity.com/630/story/895320.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your table is beautiful. I'm so glad you had a wonderful day with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. mary such a pretty luncheon, you had me hooked on the cocktails! hope you are having a ball, love the table!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table settings are quite delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous table setting! I also like the Stacy's pita chips!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful table..hope your luncheon is perfect in every way. The bird plates are so unique..have been to her store once in KS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a true artist! Everything looks just stunning. I envy that talent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table-scapes are always so fun to see Mari, you give me so many ideas, but I don't have nearly the amoutn of fun dishes that you have. The bird dishes are adorable. Ok, off to work at the winery today. Happy days to you! ENjoy the luncheon! Do post about your quiche recipe, I've been wanting to make one, or better, minis.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to see a picture of how you store all your beautiful dishes! You are a girl after my own heart. I want to steal those glasses by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE the trays you have underneath each place setting. Truly inspired! As usual you've created an elegant atmosphere for your luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your table is so pretty, Mari! You know I love black, white and red :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner