Sunday

Focaccia with Caramelized Onions, Applewood Smoked Bacon, Cracked Black Pepper and Thyme




Last week when I made the Grape, Walnut, Rosemary, and Pink Peppercorn Focaccia I doubled the dough recipe, then divided it to make two focaccias. This is what I did with the remainder of the dough.


Applewood-smoked bacon is my favorite; when it is paired with the sweetness of the caramelized onions a profound union is created. These flavors were meant to go together in my opinion. Don't worry if you don't have access to applewood smoked bacon though, as any good quality, deeply smoked bacon will work in this recipe.


A shower of fresh thyme leaves, coarsely ground or crushed black pepper and a sprinkling of sea salt, or kosher salt heightens the bacon and onion.


It's perfect with a glass of red wine, or your favorite beverage. But if you want a more substantial snack serve it with some cheese. It pairs very well with almost any cheese. And it goes particularly well with the creamy blue cheese Cambozola from Bavaria.
Cambozola is a soft blue/brie hybrid blend with cream added, much milder than straight blue cheese.

For bite-size appetizer servings the focaccia could be cut into 1-inch squares, split, and spread with a small portion of cheese in between and served with toothpicks. If you don't care for cheese, a small slice of sundried tomato, or roasted red pepper would also be delicious.
If the focaccia sounds like something you might like you can find the recipe at
Once Upon a Plate the Recipes.



Thanks for coming by today, and for any comments you would like to leave ~
I love hearing from you.





18 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog. Everything you make is pictured so beautifully and sounds so tempting. Thank you for all the wonderful recipes and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I like the idea of cutting small squares and serving them as appetizers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oy...you are driving me mad with desire for a bite of your wonderful looking tasty bites!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love foccacia, but never top it with anything!! I've got to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what lovely photos. The foccacia looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not even hungry and I want this now. The foccacia looks delicious and I'm going to look for that cheese. I'm not familiar with it.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your recipes are always so delicious sounding and your presentation and photographs are outstanding!
    Thanks so much for always generously sharing all of the above!
    All the best,
    Eileen

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous and nice presentation too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mari, in a word ~ Awesome!

    What a terrific combination baked into fresh focaccia and the selection of cheese is one of my favorites. I have got to try your wonderful recipe. Many thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another fabulous focaccia. Mary, your skills with the camera are amazing. No one takes better photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness, goodness, goodness. I love these flavors you have put together. And what a terrific idea to cut these into squares for an appetizer. A real crowd pleaser I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mari, there are so many ways to serve this focaccia. I think it would be perfect with brunch, too.

    Your photos are just a delicious as the food. You are an amazing photographer.

    A little "birdie" mentioned your birthday?! Happy Birthday...may all of your dreams come true!

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your green dishes..my favourite colour! And what a good idea to serve the focacia with sun dried tomato and sweet peppers! I really must try that!

    your photos are so beautiful too!:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing pictures! Camalized onion + bread = heaven! I will have to head to the store and get some more yeast to make these. Will report back to let you know how amazing they taste! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sweet Readers! Thank you for sharing such kind thoughts. I hope you like this simple recipe, too... it's so easy to make. ~m

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks amazing! I've made foccacia before, but never with any toppings (other than just herbs). Definitely will have to try this - looks SO delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner