Monday

Mushroom Tarte Tatin




Another gem by Donna Hay, from her book No Time To Cook









If you follow my blog you know I adore Donna's recipes.






And I reach for this book often because most of the recipes are designed to serve two. (But they can be easily doubled, tripled, etc.)

You may be familiar with the original version of Apple Tarte Tatin, created by one of the Tatin sisters who operated their family's Inn in France; this is a savory version of the recipe.










The good news is ~ it's a one pan dish ~ and the assembly procedure is the same as for the original apple tatin recipe except the chopped leek, and mushrooms replace the apples, and the crust is store-bought puff pastry.











I baked it in my 8-inch black cast iron skillet which worked perfectly, though any ovenproof pan will do.










I chose 2 large portabella mushrooms, thickly sliced, as well as these Chanterelles, but most any 'meaty' mushrooms would do. I added a splash of Dry Cocktail Sherry to the mushrooms as they finished cooking but you can omit it.


Assembled just as one would a sweet tatin, the fruit is placed on the bottom of the pan (in this case a combination of leeks and mushrooms), then the crust is placed on top, brushed with egg wash, then baked. When the crust is done the pan is flipped, and the tatin is served crust side down.






The directions state to place two layers (8-inch rounds) of the puff pastry on top of one another, (over the mushrooms) then into the oven to bake.
However, I don't think two layers are necessary because I found that the crust browned too quickly before the center baked and puffed completely.
I gently tented with foil when it was about 3/4 through baking time to prevent the outer layer of the crust from burning. Next time I'll just use a single layer of puff pastry.



But it was absolutely delicious! Paired with a simple green salad, it makes an elegant little dinner for two, or sliced into wedges for a lovely nibble with drinks.
If you would like a printable copy of the recipe, you can find it HERE on my recipe blog.





Off topic, I had to share this mug and plate with you ~ a dear friend just sent me a set of four and each one depicts a different style of chair.
I just love them!







Merci Beaucoup mon cher. Elles sont si belles!

Thank you for stopping by today everyone. I hope you have a good week.










14 comments:

  1. Leeks are one of my favorite things. This dish looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see you love Donna:)

    Thank you for sharing this recipe..that I know J and I will enjoy..Great pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mushrooms and pretty much anything in puff pastry! This looks wonderful. I have dozens of cookbooks and I'm not familiar with Donna Hay, but I will be.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have 5 of Donna Hay's cookbooks but not this one. I see that I will have to add to my library!!!

    The tart looks so delicious - another one I want to try very soon. And I do so love your new treasures. Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG...that is just so beautiful and delicious looking Mary!
    Love the cup and saucers too...of course I do...blue and white!

    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love savory flavors and mushrooms! This is so pretty to look at too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful!

    How funny, I took a picture this week of all my Donna Hay books, but yours is much prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I now see I'll have to expand my cookbook collection! This looks like such a versatile and pretty tart. Looking forward to giving it a try.

    Wonderful pics, as usual!

    Thanks....Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Mary you find the best recipes. I would love that. Can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How beautiful . I love tarts n this one looks so special...a must try for me! M bookmarking this..tq :)))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Elegant, sophisticated, delicious. Beautifully photographed and presented. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. you know i am so bad at commenting, much easier to grab the phone, but i always love seeing all the beauty you create and need to remember to tell you that... but i get lazy and busy so ditto this for every single post you have ever written!

    move over i am bringing my own cuppa cocoa so we can plop down and read~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing such a wonderous recipe with us..This sounds
    so good, I just have to try it. But then, everything you do looks magnificent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner