Thursday

Tomato Soup with Crispy Capers and Oregano





You know the kind of days when you just want something warm, comforting and delicious to eat, and you need it NOW?
You might want to remember this one when you have a day like that.


It is a hearty soup which goes together in moments, another by one of my favorite cooks and authors ~ Donna Hay!
Tomato puree, quickly sauteed onion and chicken stock are seasoned up with balsamic vinegar and a tiny bit of brown sugar, then Cannellini beans from the can are stirred in and heated up. Served up in warm bowls, it is finished with quickly crisped capers and oregano leaves, cracked black pepper and a few shards of Parmesan cheese, if desired.

It is very good.
If you like tomato soup, try this one!
It's good enough to make you forget about the overly-sweet canned tomato soup of your childhood.
The Bite-Size Beignets I posted about the other day make a fine accompaniment ~ equally good with garlic bread or toasted rye slices, too.


Once Upon a Plate ~ The Recipes





14 comments:

  1. I WILL try this. I cannot eat the canned stuff. I make a salad with fried capers and love them. I know this will be good-- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice and quick! I like using the beans in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know we love homemade too!
    It looks so comforting Mary..Thank you:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Another one to add to my Mari file. It's perfect! Now on to that pizza crust I see below!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna Hay never disappoints me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent soup for those cold days which are just around the corner. I love the way you prepared the capers, pure brilliants. I definitely will be trying your soup. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is my kind of soup! It looks and sounds delicious. I love capers but have never tried crisping them up. What a great garnish!! Beautiful photos, as always, Mari!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love this right now so I would not have to go up and cook dinner tonight!
    I would rather have your dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful :D This looks like an absolute treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh good, another soup to try. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ARGH! I wish I had seen this last night when I was craving tomato soup. Shall save this gem for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for your comments!

    I hope you like it as much as we did. xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks so so so good. My daughter was just asking for a tomato soup recipe.I m going to pass her yours!Tq 4 sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tomato soup and bite-size beignets? That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner