Saturday

Skewered Ribeye Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce




I've served these a few times as appetizers; they work out really well for outdoor entertaining if you are grilling, but they are fun to make indoors, too. If you don't have an indoor grill, you can broil or pan sear them instead.



With a nice healthy salad and some good bread they make a good, cozy dinner, too.


This recipe is loosely based on one I've seen Rachael Ray prepare. Whether you add vodka to the dipping sauce is up to you. Seems like a waste of perfectly good vodka to me. :) If I were to add it, I would do so after adding the tomato sauce, etc. and then reduce the entire mixture over medium heat.

That said, I prefer to season the tomato dipping sauce with the traditional Bloody Mary flavors and skip the vodka.

Any tender cut of beef will do; I chose ribeye this time, it requires more trimming than a filet or sirloin but it's very flavorful.


Skewered Ribeye Steak Bites with Bloody Mary Dipping Sauce

A pound and a half of meat will make about 6 appetizer-size servings.

Good quality beef steak; trimmed of excess fat (and gristle & connective tissue if any). Cut meat into 1-inch cubes.

Sauce:
(Makes about 1 cup, enough for over a pound and a half of meat)

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons minced yellow or white onion
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (Such as Tabasco)* 1 cup tomato sauce
1 rounded tablespoon prepared horseradish
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Optional: 1/2 cup vodka

* Regarding the hot sauce: I cut this amount down to a scant one teaspoon, and offer the bottle of hot sauce at serving time so those that like it with more heat can add their own.

Method:

In a small saucepan, over medium heat saute onion in olive oil until translucent. If using vodka add it now and allow to simmer until volume reduces by about half. Stir in remaining ingredients, simmer for a minute or two then reduce heat. Taste for seasonings, and adjust if necessary. (Sauce can be served warm or at room temperature.)

Cut meat into approximately 1-inch cubes. If you are going to pan sear them, no need to skewer meat, just salt and pepper the meat and cook in a hot pan, turning as the cubes become brown and done to your liking. Place on a warmed platter with skewers and dipping sauce in a small bowl alongside.

To grill or broil, cut meat as directed above, skewer meat, salt & pepper and grill/broil until cooked the way you prefer. I place some dipping sauce on a warm plate/platter, arrange the cooked meat on top, with additional sauce on the side. A shower of minced parsley or chives brightens up the dish.



Delicious and easy to make!



Here they are on the little Le Creuset cast-iron grill.




If you're going to cook these indoors it helps to have good ventilation/fan to remove the smoke.

If you have meat-eaters in your family, or among your circle of friends, I think they will really enjoy these.










13 comments:

  1. This is my idea of an appetizer. I have a heavy duty fan over my stove so will make this for our next birthday celebration.

    Your photos knock me out, Mari. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fabulous. I'm making a grocery list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking awesome again, Mary! Those look fantastic! First pic's grill marks made me think Zorro!!!!

    I have to make those soon. Very soon. Indoor grill!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looking good mary, duhhhhh! waste of vodka was a good one too~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look fabulous...what beautiful grill marks you have!

    Thanks Mary!
    L ~xoxox :*

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very innovative idea! Thanks, Mari, such a different and beautiful presentation! (I can hear my smoke alarm going off now, LOLOL, it doesn't need much encouragement but Ken won't let me move its location. Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary, this would be perfect for my meatlover hubby's upcoming birthday! Thanks for sharing another winner.

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look amazing! Beautiful grill marks too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how we are complimenting you on your grill marks:) Me too!
    But I remember way back when..
    Great post Mary.Always lots to see and go Gaga over.
    I have 2 Madames out tonight and 1 Monsieur.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, those look good enough to eat! Very creative to use bloody mary flavors for the sauce. I would add the vodka myself. The alcohol can help to bring out different flavors that are not water soluble. I LOVE LOVE LOVE your presentation of these. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, thank you so much for the comments everyone. I love to read what you have to say, and what kind of foods your family and friends like.

    I meant to add that I usually cut the hot sauce (Tabasco) in this recipe back by about half (or less), and offer up the bottle alongside for anyone who might want it spicier. I'll go change the post to reflect that.

    Hey Greg, it's nice to see you here. I know you've been traveling quite a bit recently. Oh, yes, I do have a few recipes in which I use vodka, for the very reason you mentioned. But Rachael Ray suggested reducing the vodka by half before adding the other ingredients, that was a new one for me and seemed to fly in the face of the purpose of using the vodka. I'd probably add it after the tomato sauce and other ingredients, then reduce the entire sauce. (Or skip and have the cocktail along with the appies :) instead!) hee hee.

    Thanks again everyone for your nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to a Halloween Party where this was served and it was incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner