Friday

1-2-3 French Dip Sandwich



If you've been following my blog you probably know that I usually try to cook and bake from scratch whenever possible. I just prefer the taste of honest, well prepared food.


There ARE days, however, when time is short, or there is a special request for a particular meal when cooking from scratch just isn't an option.

This is one of those meals that can be put together very quickly using grocery store-ready ingredients.

French rolls, very thinly sliced deli-roast beef, instant au jus mix, a little garlic, and some good horseradish and sour cream is all you need to make 1-2-3 French Dip Sandwiches.


(You can also add cheese, or grilled onions but I don't care for those on my French Dip.)

First I blend and allow the au jus mix to simmer with a splash of wine and a teaspoon of butter over low heat while I prepare the buns and assemble the sandwiches.


For the horseradish sauce I mix horseradish with an equal amount of sour cream (a little more horseradish than sour cream if you like a stronger flavor.)



I like toasted buns, so I brush each half with a little olive oil or butter which has been infused with minced garlic. Bake or broil until lightly toasted.



You can heat the roast beef, but I don't bother. The warm bun and piping hot au jus brings it to the perfect temperature.



Such an easy sandwich for lunch or dinner, it's next best to roasting your own beef when you crave a French Dip Sandwich.






22 comments:

  1. this looks so yummy! These are one of my all time favorite sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't comment much, but I just wanted you to know how much I enjoy your site and recipes!
    This one seems so easy...if only I could get Au Jus packages here in Brazil :)
    anyways, one for the files! and the leek quiche is going to be on my next breakfast menu for the quilt group!
    BG

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a combo..yum..always ur pics speaks volumes Mari..:)just love them..:)
    Thanks a ton for the add..:)
    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny you should post this...hubby made his version of this tonight. just finished...and they were yummy. he adds some blue cheese to his recipe :) otherwise, we have the kosher dill spears, the au jus and he toasts the bun/bread in an iron skillet. yummy stuff.

    love your blog.

    erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good-looking French dip sandwich. Before I read all the text, I assumed you had baked the bread and was amazed how perfectly thinly sliced the beef was.

    Even without doing it all from scratch, the plating etc. definitely has a Mari touch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the easy way works just fine. Your french dips look delish, Mari, and the photos are wonderful as always.

    Your biggest fan - Cathy
    (Your most admiring fan sounds better, doesn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband will love this, hes crazy about dips and dipping. I cant wait to make this for him, thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary, that looks excellent...and as Cathy said sometimes the easiest is the best...but no one can present like you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandwich was a "keeper" around here!! Keep up the great recipes and suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 123 would never look that good at my place! i love french dips, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This look so yummy. I especially like the sauce! Great choice for a busy weeknight meal. I have to add it to my list of starred items!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to know that even an excellent cooks as yourself takes a few shortcuts once in a while ;)

    No shortcut on the excellent presentation, though! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks Delicious! What's the garlic for?
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks good Mari. I love French Dip sandwiches. I usually serve them like they do at Philippe's (one of LA oldest restaurants), which is dipping the bread it self before the meat goes on, rather than serving it on the side.

    I recently found another option for quick French Dips when I was doing a review of Miss Vickie's Big Book of Pressure Cooker recipes. The author use the pressure cooker to make the beef and juice. We got permission to reprint the recipe and it's at

    http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/137/27983

    I have tried it and it's a really good.

    Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. mmmmm YUMMY - This looks delicious. Thanks so much for sharing.

    zesty

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that idea. I like to cook and bake from scratch too but sometimes there just isn't enough time. I will definitely remember this little quickie meal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. ...please where can I buy a unicorn?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Okay the search is on for bubbie's horseradish here on cape cod. I already enjoy the pickles and saurkraut. I love your site as I have already mastered one hour sandwich buns. thank you thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner