Thursday

Coffee Crème Brûlée


I adore plain, creamy vanilla Crème Brûlée, but this version which includes an infusion of espresso beans as well as a kick of Kahlua in the custard, offers an intriguing twist on the old classic.

Originally from the Princeville Resort's La Cascata restaurant on Kauai's north shore, I found the recipe on epicurious.com.
The link to the recipe is below, it makes 8 servings but the recipe can easily be halved.





I whisk in 1 Tablespoon up to a quarter of a cup (4 tablepoons) of Kahlua Liqueur (or any similar coffee flavored liqueur) to the custard mixture prior to pouring into the ramekins before baking. :)
I serve it year round, but since it's served chilled it is particularly welcome on a warm summer evening, offering the flavor of coffee without the heat. Very nice with a little dollop of whipped cream on top, too.

Creamy and rich with the essence of coffee it provides a chic finish for a simple Bistro-style dinner.

If you don't want to fuss with steeping the crushed espresso beans, you may want to try Bob Blumer, The Surreal Gourmet's, more simple version using instant coffee (or espresso) powder instead.


The Surreal Gourmet's Coffee Crème Brûlée


It's very good too.









8 comments:

  1. hi Mari! How are you?! I generally like my brulee (and cheesecake) plain!, but this sounds so good and Dan loves all things coffee, so I will have to make this for him! Hope all is well! joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beginning with coffee milk growing up in New England, I'm in love with everything that is coffee flavored. This sounds delicious and I love the cups you served it in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mari, in reading the recipe I didn't see Kahlua mentioned. Did you replace the vanilla with Kahlua?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everybody! Thank you for stopping by, I hope you like the recipe if you try it.

    Joan, I owe you an email... I'll be in touch soon. It's been a crazy week. I miss you!

    Hey Karen, thanks! I forgot to add the note about my addition to the recipe. I've edited, & thank you for catching that.

    Hi Jain, I've got cupcakes cooling so I can decorate tomorrow for our Darling Bakers event on Saturday! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the photos of this! I would probably love the brulee also as I am a big coffee fanatic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crème Brulée is one of my all-time favorite desserts! I love your version in the Illy cups :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner