Wednesday

Updated Spinach ~ Artichoke Dip



Fair warning! This one is going to spoil you for any other Spinach-Artichoke Dip.

When Cory featured a revised version of Hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip on his excellent blog "Culinary Cory", I was compelled to try it.

Cory explains that he saw a similar idea on Stacey's blog "Stacey Snacks".

Please go check them both out, there are always tempting recipes to try on each of their blogs, and their photography is exceptional.


This is a punched up, slimmed-down version of the dip and it is delicious! Less mayonnaise and no cream cheese allows for the flavor of the vegetables and good cheese to dominate.


Another notable difference is the Panko-Butter crumb topping. (I added a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese to the mix after melting the butter and tossing the crumbs.)


I really liked the idea of using canned artichokes, I used a can of artchoke crowns (as that's what I had on hand), and coarsely chopped them for good, chunky texture.


Instead of frozen spinach I used fresh baby spinach, as Cory did ~ I liked the milder flavor and non-fiberous texture that fresh spinach lends to the dish.

The only other change I made to Stacey and Cory's versions is that I added a generous squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a little finely grated lemon zest to the blend.

I served it with my homemade Rosemary Bread (the recipe can be found here on my blog. I used the same recipe, except I used chopped fresh rosemary and formed the dough into two baguettes this time. Then sliced and toasted it.



This is a delicious hot appetizer. I made it for my houst guests this week; it was polished it off in no time. Everyone loved it.

A huge thank you to both Cory and Stacey. This one goes into the 'keeper' file. :)











15 comments:

  1. Mary...you are killing me...that looks so good...and I am trying so hard to BE good....
    Will give this one a whirl!
    Maybe for Superbowl!
    L~xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the panko idea! Cream cheese can really take over a dish sometimes. I bet this one sans cream cheese was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi.
    Thanks for referring my blog!
    My hot artichoke dip has been the most popular recipe downloaded on my site this year.
    Your photos are a lot better than mine!
    Stacey Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does sound like a great version and I look forward to trying it the next time we entertain. The rosemary bread sounds wonderful too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love spinach artichoke dip! Thanks for the sharing the slimmed down version. If it's a keeper recipe for you it must be good :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love this and i am so darn hungry now i should not have stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the kind words and for referring my blog. Just like Stacey, this dip has been one of the more popular recipes on my site. I like how you added a splash of lemon zest and juice to give it a hint of freshness. I'm sure it really brought out the flavor of the red pepper flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm, I like anything with artichokes. And a slimmed down version...too good. How would we ever get along without panko? It's a staple in my kitchen.

    And thank you for the links to Cory and Stacey's blogs. I visited them both.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mari, this is one of our daughter's favorites and this version sounds spectacular. (She sometimes buy the frozen version. .. I know she'd love the lightened-up version and the use of panko.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely lovely..How did I miss your blog till now..Whoa..Gota lovely space dear..:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Mary~ Can always count on you for "Recette Du Jour" in a most distinguished style.
    Merçi..beaucoup.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Pretty and delicious...Lucky house guests!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner