Wednesday

Blackberry Chicken

This recipe was written for boneless, skinless chicken breasts, so you may want to make it that way. I welcome the convenience of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, but nothing can beat the full flavor of chicken cooked on the bone.
.
My local country meat market happens to carry some of the best organic and hormone free chicken meat that I've ever tasted, so that's what I use; bone in and skin on. The sauce also works well with pork medallions, or pork chops.

Here are the ingredients you'll need for the sauce, (plus some chicken stock and a bit of olive oil):



Blackberry Chicken
4 servings

2 whole chicken breasts (4 halves)
2 Tablespoons Olive oil
2 Tablespoons Finely chopped shallots
1/4 cup Blackberry vinegar
1/4 cup Chicken Stock or canned broth
1/4 cup Heavy or whipping cream (I only added 2 Tablespoons)
1 Tablespoons Creme de cassis
10 Fresh blackberries for the sauce, and additional for garnish
Note: In the original recipe the boneless breasts are pounded evenly, then cooked over medium heat in the oil for about 4 minutes or so per side.

I simply salted and peppered mine, placed them on a oiled baking sheet and baked at 350-degrees (F), until done. (Use an instant read thermometer to assure the chicken is done.) I served the sauce separately.

To make the sauce:

Over low heat warm the olive oil and add the shallots to the skillet and cook until they are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar, raise the heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until it has reduced to a syrupy spoonful. Whisk in the stock, cream, and creme de cassis, and simmer for 1 minute.

If you are using boneless breasts, return the breasts to the skillet and simmer them gently in the sauce until they are just done, about 5 minutes; do not overcook. Remove the breasts with a slotted spoon and arrange them on a heated serving platter.

Simmer the sauce gently until it has reduced and thickened slightly, 3 minutes. Add the blackberries; cook 1 minute.

Pour the sauce over the breasts and serve immediately, garnished with the remaining fresh berries.

2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful dish! I should try this just for me...I don't think Randy would go for it :-) I love new flavor combinations and I can imagine the blackberry compliments the chicken nicely. Thanks Mary for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy, I completely understand about Randy's hesitation, some people just don't care for the sweet flavor when paired up with meat or chicken period. You could just prepare the chicken plainly and serve the sauce on the side for you! If you try it I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, friends ~ they make my day!

A Sampling of my food . . .

Subscribe:

 Subscribe in a reader...or

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner